Chapter 3

So that was that, right? Yeah, I would have thought that, too. I mean, people already didn’t like me much because I was gay. Some people just showed it more than others.

But it was then I realized, “Louis, you said ‘we need to get to class’. Louis, that was the last class of the day? We don’t have anymore classes?”

He pulled me down the road so we were running at a fairly decent pace and we completely past Liam who was standing there waiting for me. I turned back to him and shrugged my shoulders, hollering, “Sorry, Li! Tomorrow, yeah?” He just laughed and shook his head at me. I knew I was forgiven and wouldn’t get in any trouble with him.

As we kept running and neared the edge of town I started to slow down because I was getting tired. Louis’ hand that was on my forearm, which I had become fairly accustomed to it being there in the past 24 hours, slipped down and his hand fell into mine. That was it. We were holding hands. While it probably meant nothing to him, I felt my heart skip a beat as we slowed to a walk as we were both panting.

“Louis, you never answered me. Why did you mean we had to get to class?” I looked up at him questioningly.

“Harry, I want to take a class on you. I want you to tell me as much as you can about yourself. We’re hanging out today and if you don’t like it, you might as well get over it because it’s happening.” He nodded his head at the end to make it final with a little smile playing around the edges of his lips.

He was just making himself more endearing and my heart couldn’t handle this. He was doing this to me on purpose, right? This perfect boy couldn’t actually want to be friends with me?

“Alright, Louis. But only on one condition!” I turned so I was now in front of him, walking backwards as we continued on to my house, passing the field I loved so much.

“Okay, Styles. What is your one condition?” He patted my curls smiling at me.

“You have to answer any questions I have, too.”

“If you insist.”

I twisted my body again so I was back in my spot walking next to him holding his hand, and resisting every urge I had to lay my head on his shoulder as we walked, even though I was a bit taller than him. I laughed to myself as we walked up the driveway and neared the front door. I found it funny that a boy shorter and smaller than myself made me feel safe.

I leaned forward to grab the door handle as I opened it Louis quickly withdrew his hand from me and it made me sad. Because that meant it did mean something, right? He was just ashamed. Ashamed of what? Me? Was he gay? Was he ashamed he liked boys? Does he like me?

No. Of course he doesn’t.

Thank you to the annoying voice in my head that always said negative things to me. Oh well, something good comes of every situation, right? Well, I have Louis. He’s my good in every situation now.

We walked inside and I turned to Louis, “You can just put your stuff down wherever and take your shoes off. Or leave them on. What ever makes you comfortable. I’ll be right back.”

I ran up the stairs, and little did I know, Louis was just a few steps behind me. I knocked on Gemma’s door, but this time she opened it up, “Harry! I- oh. Hi, Harry, who’s this?” She looked over my shoulder to Louis, and that’s when I noticed he was following me.

“Oh. That’s just Louis. A friend from school. What did ya need, Gems?” Before I turned back to face her after introducing Louis as “a friend”, I thought I saw some emotion flash through his eyes before he just smiled at her and I both.