Chapter Twenty-Nine: Co-dependent

Nine Crimes Chapter Twenty-Nine

Waking up on Taylor and Natalie's front porch I look around, frowning as I realize I had dreamed Natalie coming back to me. I had dreamed the huge time skip in months. Natalie had left me today and she wasn't coming back. Taylor had left too because of me. I was a fucking life ruiner.

Standing from the porch I go to my truck and get in. I'm not sure where to go but I know I need to go somewhere. I don't want to go to my apartment. I'm not sure I can handle being alone right now. Not when I feel like I am at my weakest point right now.

So instead of driving towards my apartment after I start my truck and pull out, I drive towards Bethany's house. It may not be the best move, I mean I know Austin was supposed to be moving out here but I just need Bethany. She is the one person who gets me when I am at my low points, maybe because she is as crazy as I am. That has to be the reason.

I arrived at Bethany's house and cut my truck off, getting out. I am glad her car is here but I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach at the over car in her drive way now too. I am sure it's probably Austin's car and that hurts me and just makes me confused. I have no right to care who she hangs out with. I may have feelings for her but I don't love her.

Going onto her front porch I raise my hand and knock three times before looking down. When I hear the door open I look up expecting it to be Bethany but instead I come face to face with a girl I haven't seen before which causes me to crinkle my forehead in confusion. "I..is Bethany here?" I ask, blushing slightly when I stutter.

The unknown girl gives me a smirk before shaking her head, "She and Austin went to some movie," she shrugs moving aside so I can come in. "They should be back soon though if you want to wait here."

I nod politely and step inside the house, looking around, "So are you a friend of Bethany's from college?" I ask deciding to make small talk with the girl.

She laughs and walks past me, heading into the living room. "I'm her sister Leigh. I'm visiting her for a month. Contemplating going to the same college she did so I wanted to see what Tulsa was like before deciding if I like it enough to make a move down here."

Hearing that she is Bethany's sister I shake my head. I don't really see the resemblance but in a way maybe I do if I look just right. "Bethany never mentioned having a sister," I tell Leigh before sitting down beside her on the couch.

"I'm not surprised," Leigh mutters a hint of sadness in her voice. "Bethany never mentions me really."

At her words I frown hoping I haven't hit a sore spot. I really do not need Bethany's sister crying on me when Bethany and Austin come home. That is some explaining I don't really wanna do on an already shitty day for me.

Leigh just frowns before standing from the couch, "I'll be back," she mumbles incoherently and I am pretty sure I have just made her cry. Way to go Zac fucking Hanson. Make a girl cry when your day is already shitty. Make Bethany's sister of all people cry.

Sitting back against the couch I try to shake the fact that I have made Leigh cry but before I can I hear the front door open and foot steps coming this way. Looking up I frown seeing Bethany stop in her tracks, a guy with brown hair casually having his arm around her shoulder.

"Z..Zac," Bethany squeaks her eyes going wide. "What are you doing here?" she asks almost as if she doesn't want me here. That my being here was a bad thing.

I look down not wanting to see Austin with Bethany, "Natalie left me," I answer her feeling tears in my eyes. "Natalie left me and Taylor left as well. He knew about us and he was upset. I just, I guess I needed a friend so I came to you," I finish mustering a fake smile as I look back at her. I'm glad to see that Austin has moved his arm off her shoulder.