Monokuma's Origin Story

This story occurred long, long, time ago, way before the Despair Sisters and the Ultimate Despair and her protégés even came into existence, way before the Tragedy even happened.

Somewhere in the deepest, darkest corners of Japan, there was a power that could make inanimate but perfectly made objects move, but shut down the movement of damaged objects. A strange power indeed. A kind of magic occurring like clockwork, if you will.

What caused this magic you ask? The intense power lying in the wishes of such objects to move around and be able to explore the world around them. Just to be disappointed by its mundaneness.

In one such corner, there stood a dumpster, a gathering for all the garbage of this world, alive or dead, functioning or non-functioning. An ordinary stuffed half-white, half-black furry bear, in perfect condition except for its dirty body and one eye, was granted such a power. He poked around the dumpsters, looking for anything interesting or valuable that others might have thrown away by accident. As he looked about curiously, his eye fell on something beautiful, something he couldn't bear to look away from.

It was a gorgeous snow-white she-bear, covered in patches of dirt, wearing a pink dress and adorned with pink frilly bows. It lay in a corner, immobile thanks to missing a ear and an eye, not to mention the stuffing coming out of various places. The more he looked at it, the more he grew attached to it.

"The nerve of people these days - to treat beautiful things like this and throw them away instead of repairing them. Even I could repair this amount of damage." Repair, huh? Let's give it a shot then.

He spent hours, days, even months fixing the she-bear to the best of his abilities. He stitched up all the torn parts, replaced the stuffing with a new one, and even cleaned it up all by himself. In between jobs, he often imagined how the she-bear would react on seeing him, a dirty half-white, half-black ordinary bear with one eye missing, and what she would say. Would she thank him for bringing her back to life? Would she spend time with him, or not? Don't lose hope, he said to himself, she'll definitely talk to you. She has to. You are her savior, after all.

After almost an entire year (you didn't expect a bear to function at the speed of humans, did you? Because that's stupid.), the she-bear was back to its original condition, looking as sparkly and beautiful as ever. In stark contrast, the other bear himself had gotten even worse than before, with Time wearing him out all over. Still, he never lost hope and continued working on the she-bear. However, no matter what he did, she remained immobile.

Does she not want to talk to me or something, he wondered to himself as he gave her another look, trying his best to figure out the problem. She is a beautiful thing, even if she has some parts missing. Wait, missing parts?

He realised that she was missing a ear and an eye. No matter what happens, such a beautiful thing cannot lie here, he thought as he willingly tore off one of his ears and stitched it on. It hurt alright, but he smiled through the tears, knowing he was doing it to help someone. Still, she did not move an inch.