Devary swirled his tea in his cup, gazing thoughtfully at Llandry. 'Your father seems to be too pragmatic a man to entertain such fears.'

   'Not much scares Papa, that's true.' For a moment Llandry was silent, debating how much to tell him. It was odd that her mother hadn't already shared this piece of her husband's history: perhaps she didn't wish for Devary to know.

   'Why then should he distrust the Upper Realm in this way?'

   'You should ask Mamma about that.'

   He smiled. 'But I am asking you.'

   She sighed. 'It's because of my grandfather. He was a summoner, a strong one. Pa said he became obsessed with the Uppers, kept going back, spending more time there than he should. One day he didn't come back. Pa said he wouldn't sit by and watch while his daughter got herself killed up there too.'

   'Ah.' Devary said nothing more, apparently drifting off into thought.

   'If you're allowed to pressure me for information, I get to ask a question too,' said Llandry.

   'That is a fair trade,' said Devary gravely. 'One question.'

   'You're the most civilised person I've met, next to Mamma. You have perfect manners. You're a wonderful musician and the picture of a gentleman. Why would you be carrying daggers?'

   He smiled briefly. 'I suppose it is inevitable that you would ask. That, unfortunately, is a question I cannot answer.'

   'Unfair.'

   'It is, is it not? Perhaps I should say, I do not wish to answer it. I think you are beginning to like me, just a little, and I would not wish to destroy that.'

   Llandry eyed him. 'I have come to believe you are mostly harmless, yes. It is not the same thing as liking.'

   His eyes laughed at her. 'I see. It is my mistake.'

   'So you have a secret that I wouldn't like?'

   'More than one, I fear. Ask me another question. I remain in debt to you by one query.'

   Llandry thought back to the previous day. 'I've seen sorcs work before. They can open gates in seconds. Why did it take you so long?'

   'An unflattering question, but a deal is a deal. I am not a very good sorcerer. Also, I am from Nimdre. It is true that I can open gates to either of the Off-Worlds, but that comes at the price of foregoing the closer bond enjoyed by those from the Daylands or Darklands. To a Darklands sorcerer, it is as simple as reaching out, and the paths through to the Lowers are at your fingertips. Or so I believe. I, however, must search before I can find the way.' He set down his cup and stood up. 'If that concludes our arrangement, I must investigate the problem of these visitors we have been receiving. You will observe that I have enclosed the house; please do not open any windows or doors while I am gone. I won't be long.' He left, opening the exterior door only a few inches and slipping carefully through. Llandry heard the key turn in the lock, and she was alone.

   Trying not to feel nervous, she climbed the stairs back to her room. The winged creature she had rescued the day before seemed better today; its breathing was calmer and it lay quietly in the nest Llandry had prepared. She mixed up a solution of sugar in water and laid it nearby, hoping it would eat. Doubtless it needed sustenance. She nudged it with her thoughts, reminding it about the concept of food, and to her pleasure it stirred and dipped its snout into the dish.

   'On balance, I'd prefer more intruders like you,' she told it. 'No killer teeth. No killer claws. No killer instincts. Quite undemanding, all told.' It ignored her, drinking on until the dish was dry. Then it drank down a second dish, after which it tentatively flapped its wings.