Chapter 29 - Part Of The Family

Start bij het begin

“We’ll be fine,” I tell him and he nods, cupping my face with his other hand. “I’ll be fine.”

“You will,” he repeats and leans in to give me a soft kiss. “Let’s go.”

I nod and Charlie looks at me with worry but he nods as well and we make our way back to the complex. I’m still nervous, but I’m determined that I choose the person I’m with. Rhonda can’t stop me from loving whomever I want to love. This is my life, I do what I want with it.

When we’re finally in front of the door to her office I have this urge to run away and never be seen again, but I take a deep breath and squeeze Niall’s hand and he squeezes back. I wish he’d come inside with me, but this is my problem with Rhonda. I have to do this alone.

Charlie gives me a hug and whispers in my ear, “good luck. I’ll help you no matter what she does, okay? Don’t be scared.”

I nod and hug him back and when he lets go of me, Niall claims his turn, hugging me and kissing me at the same time, deeply, passionately, giving me the strength I need to face this situation. “I’m with you,” is the last thing he tells me before I step back and knock at her door.

“I’ll see you later,” I tell both of them and they nod just when I hear a “come in.”

I open the doors, slightly shaking and I close them behind me as I take another deep breath, summoning all my courage to face this. She can’t stop me from being with Niall. I won’t give up on him because she demands me to do that.

“There she is!” Rhonda turns around, a big smile on her lips as she sees me standing there. She opens her arms as she walks towards me and I freeze, I can’t even breathe as I see her coming. “Oh my dear Arabella!” She exclaims, stopping once she’s in front of me and the next thing she does is hug me.

Rhonda. Hugs. Me.

I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what’s happening. Is this a nightmare? Why is Rhonda hugging me? Shouldn’t she be like yelling at me? Threating me to destroy everything I love?

She pulls back, that sweet smile that she only gives to celebrities still on her lips. Adoration is shining in her eyes. This makes no sense. What is happening?

“Oh my dear Arabella, I never thought this day would come. I must admit I had given up on you, but here you are, proving me wrong once again,” she speaks, her hands on my shoulders, grabbing confidently.

“What— what’s going on?” I ask, utterly confused. Maybe Jenny hasn’t talked to her.

“Jenny told me she saw you with the young boy, the one from the band. Niall Horan,” Rhonda explains, still smiling and I blink more confused. “Oh, my dear. I’m so proud of you. You finally did the right thing. I won’t lie, I am surprised he laid his eyes on you. I guess he saw beyond the plain appearance. He’s the good kind, don’t let him go,” she winks at me and I feel like puking, right there.

“I-I don’t get it. You are happy about it?” I ask, still confused and she laughs, as if I’ve said the most hilarious thing ever.

“Of course I am! I knew someday you’d see the light, Arabella. I knew you were clever and you’d see things like they are. To be honest I thought that one of my girls would get one of the celebrities first, but it’s okay. You did it! Now you don’t even need to go to University. You just got one of the richest out there! Congratulations!”

I catch my breath, blinking confused as I hear her. This is not what I expected. I was prepared for the rage, for the screams, for the threats. Not for this! What is this? This doesn’t make sense!