17

Barbra's POV: 20th of May 1965
I walked into the house. And dropped my bat at the door. And walked up to my dad.
"Dad. Thank you. Thanks for everything, I don't know what I'd do without you here." I said straight faced. He picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.
"Come on let's go wash the car." He added laughing.
My mom smiled.
My father got the car out on the drive way. And I dragged out to pails of water. One soapy and one for rinsing.
I grabbed a big sponge and started on the window. I felt water trail on my head.
"Oops sorry." Dad exclaimed cleaning the roof.
"Hey! That was intentional."
He scoffed and squeezed the sponge of my head.
I gasped.
"Well then get out the way." He mocked laughing.
Once we were done he threw the water over the car from the other side. Practically drowning me.
I grabbed the hose and pointed it at my dad who had a bucket of water in his hand.
"Freeze old man, (he's only 33). Put the bucket down or I'll blow your brains out."
"Now listen here girly. If you know what's good for ya' you'll put that hose down." He told me in a western accent.
I laughed and pointed the hose at him when a gush of water came out.
"That was an accident I sw-
He threw the bucket at me. We were drenched when mom came out with some water melon. My dad was throwing the last of the water at me when I ducked.
I gasped and looked at my mom. She was drenched!
She grabbed the hose and sprayed my dad before we all sat down and enjoy some watermelon.

I was sat in my room writing up the last of my oral presentation.
My Grandfather: The Babe
It was a pretty good essay I have to admit. I could hear lots of hubbub downstairs, happy hubbub ya know? I tiptoed downstairs to see my Nonna. It's been almost 10 months since I've seen her.
"NONNA!" I yelled. I ran up and hugged her. I was so happy to see her, I was really close with her and haven't seen her in ages.
"BAMBINA." She yelled opening her arms
She's been living in New York for 20 years but after Nonno passed away she went to live back in Italy for a while.
"Barry, you feed her? She looks too askinny." She observed lifting my arms up.
"Sì Mamma. I am feeding her." My dad replied carrying her bags to the guest room.
"Nonna, I'm doing a... progetto scolastico (school project) and was wondering if you could help me?"
"What's it about Bambina?"
"Nonno. I'm writing a speech about him."
"Oh... yes. Uh, what do you need?"
"Well, how would you like to visit my school?"
"Okay. Sounding nice." She says with her eyes wrinkled because of her smile.
"Tomorrow?"
"Sì. What shall I wear?" She asked laughing.
"Anything Nonna." I replied smiling.
"Oh Piccola (little one). I have a present for you." She said skipping to her room. My grandma was still pretty young. I mean 59 is alright.
I followed her to her room and watched her pull out an old New York Yankees baseball jersey. Still has sand on it and everything.
"Was used to be Nonno's." She explained. She put it on me and kissed my cheek.
"Thanks so much Nonna!" I exclaimed kissing her cheek. I was so happy.
It was getting late so we had dinner and of course Nonna couldn't let mom be alone in the kitchen so we we ended up having lasagna and spaghetti Bolognese which was good. I could barely finish what Nonna was dumping into my plate.
"Bambina! You too skinny. Eat!"
"Ma, she's fine." My dad interjected. I forked another spoonful into my mouth almost gagging.
"That's it." Nonna said smiling.
"Ma she's vomitting." My mom said.
"Tesoro (sweetheart), I told you that you put to much sauce." My Nonna said to my mom.
"Ma she's not used to eating so much." My mom replied. I was still gagging.
"Hows she is to play baseball if she'll be blown away by strong wind." Nonna answered grabbing another forkful.
"Ma." Both of my parents said in annoyance. I stood up and almost collapsed. I washed my plate and stumbled to the dining table.
"Thank you Nonna." I groaned clutching my stomach. I grabbed my bat and glove. And barely made it to the sandlot.
The boys were standing there talking.
"Woah. Barbie you okay? You look kinda green." Bertie said.
"My Nonna's is in town." I said trying not to barf
"Enough said." Yeah-Yeah said.
I could feel it. I was about to vomit. I dropped my bat and ran to the bushes. Then it all came out. Lasagna, spaghetti, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, the works.
"Urgh." The boys groaned.
"Whats with her?" Ham asked.
"Her grandmother over fed her."
"Why didn't you say stop?" Ham said laughing.
"It's not that easy." Yeah-Yeah and I chorused.
"Italians." Squints said laughing.
"Better than Greeks." Yeah-Yeah jeered. Bertie laughed
"Shut up. At least we're not the French." Squints said looking at Bertie.
"You guys this is stupid." I said picking up my bat.
"France is stupid." Squints said.
"So is Greece and Italy." Bertie replied.
"Aye shut up!" Yeah-Yeah ordered. The three boys began to bicker and wouldn't stop.
I walked home with Ham, Tommy, Kenny and Timmy.
"Hey, how's Benny doing?" Kenny asked. I sighed
"He was pretty shaken up. I don't know what to do." I admitted. Kenny looked at me.
"Just be you. That's Benny's favourite thing, he's a tough cookie. He'll get through it.  I've known him since I've been eating sand. He never lets things get to him." Kenny told me.
"Thanks DeNunez." I said.