Chapter Nine

KATI

I wake to a small gnawing sound that just won't stop. I open my eyes.

"What in the world?" The sound is coming from below. I lean over the side of my bed and look under. "Charlie!"

Charlie is sitting beside one of the piles of sunflower seeds we set out, his tiny hands wrapped around a seed he's gnawing at, whiskers twitching. I climb down from the bed and reach under to pick him up, then set him back in his cage. He drops the sunflower seed and goes straight to his water to drink.

"You're grounded Charlie." I close the cage door and push the lock down extra hard, then I secure it with a twisty tie I got from the kitchen. "Don't I treat you good? Don't you love me anymore?"

"Oh good, you're up," my mom says, stopping at my door. She sees Charlie in his cage and sighs. "Oh thank God!"

I smile. God did answer my prayer and bring Charlie back safe. Now I don't have to stay at home all day, breaking open walls and tearing out cupboards looking for Charlie. I can go to school. I can see David again...

My insides stir with a nervous energy. Why am I nervous? It's not like I'm in love with him. Can someone even fall in love with a person in one day? I shake my head and go to the washroom to get ready.

I'm usually so tired in the mornings. But today I'm wide awake. I get dressed, deciding on my favourite 'Save the Planet' green t-shirt and a light brown cardigan. Then I braid my hair. I grab my backpack on and go to the front door.

"You're ready early," Mom says, handing me my lunch. I take it and shove it into my back pack. Why is time going so slow this morning? It usually flies by. And why can't I stop thinking about David? He'll be at school today, but he's always at school. It's no different than any other day.

"Are you alright?" Mom asks, watching me.

"Yeah," I say, zipping up my backpack.

"What are you doing standing over here by the door?"

"Nothing." I put on my shoes and jacket. "Maybe I'll walk to school early today." I open the door to leave. I can't wait around in the house any longer.

"But you haven't had breakfast!"

"Bye Mom." I leave and close the door behind me.

"You're such a zombie today!" Mindy complains once we're on the bus and settled in our seats.

"Sorry," I say. "What were we talking about?" I keep zoning out and thinking about David. I look at Mindy. "What do you think of David?"

"David, the Solar Trek guy? The washroom guy?"

"No!" My cheeks flush. "Well, yeah..."

Mindy's eyes go wide. "Did something more happen with David than what you've told me?"

"No! Of course not! Nothing." I turn and look out the bus window. It was a mistake to talk to Mindy about it. She's going to turn it into some kind of gossip.

"Why are you asking me what I think of David?" she continues.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"What do you think of him Kati?"

"Me? I don't think of him," I lie, then silently ask for forgiveness because lying is wrong, and because God brought Charlie back, so I should be good. "So I heard some of the guys from class might be going skiing with you, Janet, Rachel, and Erin," I say to Mindy, hoping she'll go with the change of topic.

Mindy claps her hands together, taking a deep breath to begin talking. I smile. Now I won't have to talk about David, or say anything, for the rest of the bus ride. I nod and pretend to listen as she goes on about some ski resort at some mountain. I won't tell anyone about my growing crush on David. Right now, becoming friends with him would be more than enough to make me happy.