Chapter Eight

KATI

I sit down at my computer desk, and sigh, blinking back tears. Mom and I spend over an hour looking for Charlie. We set up little piles of sunflower seeds around the house, by the couch, under the beds, beside little openings to lure him out. But he isn't in the bathroom, kitchen, living room or basement. Charlie really likes to chew on things. What if he chews on a wire and gets electrocuted?

"Please bring Charlie back to me safely," I pray softly. My computer hums from the desk. I was so excited when I got it for Christmas, even if it was used. I just wish I had someone to message online, someone to tell about Charlie going missing. Mindy wouldn't care and lots of times she gets my messages but doesn't reply.

The bare trees outside my window look ghostly in the moonlight. Soon it will be spring and the sun will stay up later. If it was up now I could walk to David's house and hang out with him. But I'm not allowed out by myself after dark. I wish I was part of David's group. Then all four of us could look for Charlie. I smile. They'd probably think up a brilliant way to find him.

I open my window a bit to let the fresh air in. Cold air rushes in, refreshing. It seems unreal that David was in my house, just a few hours ago. I should have asked him to come and hang out with me in my room instead of watching Solar Trek with my parents. Or would that have been weird, having him in my room? I picture him in my room, nervous and shy. How come I never noticed him before?

He didn't say much during Solar Trek but during a commercial break he asked me why everyone calls me God's Girl. So embarrassing. I told him how I got in trouble in grade four for doing my science presentation on how God created the world, instead of the other theories like the Big Bang. After that everyone started calling me God's Girl. David just smiled and said, "I believe in Creation too."

I look at the clock. It's getting really late and I still haven't found Charlie. But now I feel too down to keep looking. I change into my fleece pajamas and turn out the light, then climb into bed. A gust of wind blows in and I shiver. My window is still open, but I don't want to get up again to close it. I look up to the sky. One star shines brighter than the others. Did David see the meteor too? He must have. I close my eyes and wish on the brightest star.

I wish David would be friends with me. I don't want to be lonely anymore. And I wish, I pray, that Charlie will come back.

I hug my blankets tight. If I don't find Charlie by tomorrow morning I'm not going to school. I can't leave him lost all day.

DAVID

"Man, it's lucky Rob didn't beat us to a pulp!" Gordy yells into the phone. I move the receiver away from my ear.

"I'm the one that was left there. You guys ran off!"

"You told us to run!"

"Whatever," I say, rubbing my leg. I was tossed over the fence by Rob and now my leg hurts from landing on it the wrong way. But Gordy only cares about himself and the meteor that we never found.

"So didn't your dad ground you?" Gordy asks. "How come you're allowed to talk on the phone?"

"He's not home right now, but I'm grounded from the computer and video games. He just forgot to ground me from the phone because he was too angry to think straight."

"Listen, we have to go back to Shawna's backyard and look around. I have a plan-"

"No," I say. "Your plans always involve me doing all the dirty work. I'm already in enough trouble. You and Jay can do it."

"Relax, we're not going to climb a ladder this time, we'll just ring the doorbell and... Oh, I have to go." Gordy hangs up the phone.

I go back to my bed where I was reading the Torah before Gordy called. I used to like reading from the Torah. It made me feel grown up and it made my dad happy that I was reading it. I'd read every night, but I haven't felt like it lately. I pick up the book and set it on my desk. Kati isn't Jewish. And I know my parents will never let me date a girl that isn't Jewish.

The wind rattles my window and whistles through the cracks. The sound reminds me of when my brother first left and the house was always quiet. It still is. Mom and Dad never laugh anymore.

I climb into bed and pull the covers over my head, unable to stop thinking about how angry my dad was when Shawna called to say we snuck into her back yard. He's always disappointed in me and always thinks the worst of me. It's not like I went to Shawna's place to spy on girls in their pajamas. An image of Kati in her pajamas flashes through my mind. I shake my head. But the more I try not to think of her, the more I do. I groan. Great, now I won't get any sleep tonight.