Chapter 4: Getting to Know Cyborg

It was later that night when I saw Jim again. He was still mopping but Morph and Petunia turned into mops and helped out, mopping his boots in the process. They shape-shifted back to themselves then hiccuped some bubbles. Jim smiled at the sight and so did I. I approached from behind as he talked to them.

"Well, this has been a fun day, huh? Making new friends, like that spider psycho," Jim replied to the two shape shifters.

Morph turned into Scroop and mocked, "Spider psycho! Spider psycho!"

I chuckled,  which caused Jim to turn around, then I said, "A little uglier."

He looked back as Morph turned back to himself and Petunia did it but cackled like a maniac.

"Pretty close," Jim commented.

We laughed and he put the mop and bucket aside.

"So, you ready?" I asked.

"Yep. So where's your favorite place on the ship?" he wondered.

"Follow me," I answered.

He did so and we climbed on the rope ladder to the crow's nest. I made it first then held my hand for Jim to grab. I helped him up and we stood, leaning against the edge.

"Well, I think I know why, but why is this your favorite part of the ship?" Jim asked.

"It's a good place to think or clear my mind when I'm having a bad day. Plus, no matter where we go, the view is always beautiful," I said.

"I figured and agree," he smirked then added, "So, you ready for me to ask you questions?"

"Yeah. Lay them on me," I responded.

"Okay. First, what's your real name?" he remarked.

I hesitated before I answered, "My real name. No one has called me that in a couple of years."

"Is that a bad thing?" he asked.

"No. It's just been a while. But it's...Jamie," I said.

"Jamie. I like it. Well, my real name is James," Jim confessed.

"Really? Our names are similar. I like it," I chuckled.

"Same. So, next question, and I hope you don't get offended, but is Silver your real father?" he wondered.

"Actually, no. He adopted me when I was maybe five. My parents were killed by pirates and I was about to die myself. Silver found me and raised me for the past twelve years. Ever since then, I've never stayed in one place for too long and I haven't been back to Montressor," I explained.

"So, this has been your home?" he asked, indicating to the view before us.

"Pretty much," I nodded.

"Wow. And what about the thing with Spider Psycho? What did he mean by the 'accident'? And why does everyone call you Cyborg?" he continued.

"You're actually gonna get the same answer for both of those questions. About three years ago, I got to take one of the long boats out for a spin with the crew. I was excited because it was my first time. But Scroop was taking one too, so when I came by the side of the boat, he, on purpose, rammed me into it. I had a broken collar bone, punctured knee joint, broken ankle, and broken and shattered heel. When Silver found out, it was a miracle that he didn't commit a murder. But he performed surgery on me and I had metal plates and screws in my collar bone, ankle, and heel and my knee was cleaned and sewn up. But because of the metal, I got the nickname Cyborg," I explained.

"Oh. But if you don't mind, I want to call you Jamie. I like that better," Jim commented.

"Thanks," I blushed.

"And I'm really sorry about your parents and your accident," he said.

"It's no big deal," I assured.

"And also, did you mean it when you said that sometimes you wished he did kill you?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Well, like I said, only to haunt him for the rest of his life. But I'm most definitely glad I'm alive for many reasons. One being that I got to meet you," I answered.

"Thanks. I'm glad I got to meet you, too," Jim smiled.

"Jimbo! Cyborg! Come back down here!" Silver yelled.

"Let's go," I sighed.

We climbed down the rope ladder and hopped back on the deck. Silver had a serious smile on his face.

"What were you two doing in your favorite spot on the ship?" he smirked.

"He had some questions about me, so we went up there to talk," I explained.

"Like what?" he wondered.

"My favorite spot, my real name, your and my relation, my accident, and why I'm called Cyborg," I answered.

"You guys have a good father/daughter relationship," Jim said.

"What about yours?" I asked.

"Didn't your pap teach you to pick your fights a bit more carefully?" Silver added.

Jim's smile vanished and he remained silent. I immediately regretted asking the question and it looked like Silver did too.

"Your father not the teaching sort?" he guessed.

"No. He was more the 'taking off and never coming back' sort," Jim answered, walking up to the railing.

I cupped my mouth shut, really regretting the question. I went up to one side of him and touched his arm comfortingly.

"Oh. Sorry, lad," Silver apologized, approaching the other side of Jim.

"Sorry about that," I said.

"Eh. No big deal. I'm doing just fine," Jim shrugged and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Is that so?" Silver smirked.

Oh no. I knew that look. He's got something planned to work Jim to death. I mouthed to him to not do it, but he ignored me.

"Well, since the captain had you in my charge, like it or not, I'll be pounding a few skills into that thick head of yours to keep you out of trouble," Silver continued, poking Jim's head.

"What?!" Jim protested as I sighed and placed my hand on my forehead like "Are you kidding me?"

"From now on, I'm not letting you out of my sight!" Silver said, not phasing from Jim's outburst.

"You can't do tha-" Jim started angrily.

"You won't as much as eat, sleep, or scratch your bum without my say-so," Silver interrupted.

"Don't do me any favors!" Jim hollered.

"Oh you can be sure of that, Jimbo. You can be sure of that," Silver assured, then laughed as he walked away.

"Sorry," I apologized.

We then said our good nights and left to get some sleep. Jim was going to have his hands full until we get to Treasure Planet, that's for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Jim is going to be worked to death, most definitely. Jamie doesn't support that, but what other choice did she have?