09: Relational Revelations

Luna made her way back into her chambers after attempting to run down her sister for that final jab - a futile effort as always. Her mind was busy trying to think up ways to get her back for that one, but the sight of Twilight making a rather impressive attempt to melt into the floor redirected her attention. Her face was hidden under her fore hooves, and there was a definite red sheen over her entire body, visible even through the moonlight that she was emitting.

     That is some impressive blushing. Luna thought with a smile. I suppose she's not seen us at our games before.

     She stepped over and rested a hoof on Twilight's wither, only to have her twitch and try to press herself harder into the floor.

     "Twilight..." No response.

     She lowered her head nearer to Twilight and spoke in as reassuring a tone as she could manage, "Twilight? There's naught to be embarrassed about. My sister and I play these games from time to time. Teasing me about my lack of partner is a common theme, though she has never done so in company before. She meant nothing by it."

     A completely incomprehensible mumble was her response, though Twilight did stop trying to actively disappear into the floor.

     Figuring the crisis to be handled, Luna let humor into her voice, "I'm sorry, but was that for me or for the floor? I couldn't make you out, though I'm sure the carpet is well informed."

     Twilight slowly, reluctantly it seemed, uncovered her face. She still wouldn't meet Luna's eyes, and Luna's small smile fell away at the pained look on her friend's face. "What's wrong? It was just a joke. Honest."

     "I just.. What if..." Luna, seeing tears forming at the corners of Twilight's eyes, settled against her and wrapped her in a wing. Twilight first started to flinch away but, when Luna gripped her tighter with her wing, buried her face in Luna's side and began crying. Seeing Twilight in this state pained her. It was almost worse than when she'd been faced with the withered and dying Twilight a week before, because she didn't know what to do here. She couldn't understand why a bit of sibling teasing would provoke such a reaction, but she was determined to provide what comfort she could.

     "'What if-?'" Luna prodded. Twilight just pressed her face harder into Luna's side. "Please Twilight... 'what if' what?"

     Suddenly Twilight jerked back and burst out, "What if I wanted it to be true!" A look of pure horror, followed swiftly by utter embarrassment washed over her face at how loudly she'd shouted it. Then she suddenly went limp, as though giving up on some inner struggle, and repeated softly, "What if I wanted it to be true..."

--------------------------------------------------

     Twilight felt Luna's wing leave her back as the other alicorn shifted away and croaked out a hoarse, "What!?"

     Couldn't keep your big mouth shut could you? Twilight chided herself. Had to go and blurt it out and now she's going to... She couldn't even bring herself to complete the thought as she cringed away from her imagination and the recent past.

     After minutes that felt like hours, Twilight felt Luna shift closer to her again, though the wing didn't return. And it was in a tone devoid of vocal clues that Luna addressed her, "What did you mean? Surely you don't speak of the jibe my sister made in parting."

     Twilight nodded weakly, chin never leaving the ground. She decided that it was time to simply get it out given that it was already too late to take back what she'd said. At least she wouldn't have to pretend any more. Taking a deep breath to try and relieve some tension, she simply let the words flow uncensored.