"I'm sorry I treated you the way I did, Alexandra," she began. "If you could just find it in your heart to forgive me. I—I just couldn't handle the thought of Jayden—" She sniffed, tears brewing in her eyes. "I love Jayden so much. He reminds me of his grandfather, my dead husband. I want what is best for him. I want great-grandchildren. I know Kelly is getting married, but she can't have kids. She's infertile. She has this condition, which means she can't have kids. She tried everything, but there was only disappointment. Finally, she and Sam gave up. I don't blame them. So I want Jayden to get married and give me great-grandchildren. And I'm so glad he is able to do that."

Beth moved her hand and gently touched Alex's flat stomach. "I'm so glad," she said. "Can you find it in your heart to forgive me, Alexandra? I welcome you into our family with both arms. And the little one, too." She patted Alex's stomach again.

Alex bit her lip. She nodded in response to Beth's apology.

"Thank you, Alexandra. Thank you so much. Now, you must rest. I won't bother you anymore." She stood, tucked Alex in, and then left.

Alex had no idea the meaning of Beth's apology, but she knew she'd find out later, when her mind was clearer. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, a smile on her lips.

* * * * *

Alexandra softly groaned and fluttered her eyes open. She stared for a moment up at the chandelier above her, lost and confused. The sunlight hit the many crystals and made beautiful spectra across the room, and she gazed at them in wonder. Slowly, everything came back to her. She realized she was in Jayden's room and in his bed. She frowned, touching her forehead as she remembered the dinner with the girls at Parcha, dancing in the club, and Kyle annoying her. She remembered running from him through the crowd, him catching up with her in the corridor, and then—blank.

She groaned and sat up, her head pounding away like a bad car engine that was about to explode. Gosh, she smelled terrible and felt very stuffy, too. She brought the strands of her long hair to her nose and sniffed. Jesus! She smelled like she hadn't showered for days. Being the hygienic person that she was, she couldn't stand the smell of herself right now. Thus, she moved out of bed, intending to hit the shower ASAP. Instantly, the world spun and moved past her. She closed her eyes and concentrated, commanding herself not to faint. A few seconds later, she felt better and carefully made her way into the bathroom.

She took her time showering, allowing the droplets of hot water to pound down on her, kissing her skin until it was blushing pink. She shampooed and conditioned her long hair, cleaned her face, and even brushed her teeth. Feeling refreshed and a bit more alert, she got out, wrapped herself in a big, fluffy towel, and quickly moisturized her body and face. She returned to the bedroom and intended to go back to bed since she felt awfully spent, when she realized that she hadn't dressed properly. She reluctantly went into the walk-in wardrobe, found her panties, and put them on. Suddenly, she felt as though she might faint and groaned in dread. Not wanting to be found unconscious and half naked, she grabbed for a man's shirt near her hand, dropped the towel to the floor, and put on the shirt. Then she found the white top way too large for her person. Oh well, it would have to do. She got one button on when she knew if she didn't get into bed soon, she'd definitely faint there and then in the walk-in closet.

She steadily made her way back into the bedroom, crawled onto the bed, got in between the sheets, and rested her head against the soft pillows. Not a moment later, her world blacked out. When she opened her eyes again, the sun was low and the room shone with a bright golden-orange color.

She groaned and moved to sit up.

"Don't sit up too fast. You'll hurt yourself," came the male voice that sent her pulse racing. She glanced up and saw Jayden heading to her from where he sat on the seat near the window.