Chapter 3

DUNEDIN, NEW ZEALAND

Though her eyes were on her book, Alexandra Stewart, known simply as Alex to close friends and relatives, knew Mr. Hot-Choc was still watching her. Perhaps he wanted to sit next to Mary St. Clair, which wouldn't surprise her at all. Her ex-classmate from high school was popular with everyone. Her catwalk figure, dark-brown curls, and bright-blue eyes stole the tongues right out of the mouths of the boys. You could say she was perfect, almost. If only she didn't act like such a bitch, thinking everyone was beneath her and that no one else was as deserving of her perfect life.

Alex could never behave like Mary. She would rather hide in a closet or do dishes than flirt with a guy. In her world, she wasn't pretty enough to have the confidence that seemed to exude from Mary.

And now Mary looked to be hitting on Mr. Hot-Choc. Again, Alex wasn't surprised. The man was a hunk, tall and trim, blond-haired, and blue-eyed. She was sure she had never seen him around Dunedin. He walked around the long table with that loose-limbed grace usually only seen in big cats. A true-bred alpha male, he had that powerful aura about him that fairly screams, Don't challenge me or I'll eat you for breakfast.

Why did he watch her with such intensity? Who was he? Why was he with Peter and Mary? Were they friends?

And why name him Mr. Hot-Choc? Because he was damn hot, and at the moment, she was craving a cup of hot chocolate. Only she couldn't afford one. Her budget was tight. Every cent went to support the family.

She nibbled her lower lip and tried to concentrate on her novel. Hercules Poirot uncovered the murderer, the motive was laid bare, and all from brilliant deduction of seemingly insignificant facts. She couldn't figure out how, and now her mind, without warning, flipped to her dad, Jacob Stewart.

How long can he wait for a heart to be available?

His condition was getting worse. He needed a new heart and fast, as Peter, the young cardiologist and longtime family friend, told her. Finding a donor, however, was difficult. There was the option of going to a private hospital. There was no way they could afford that. There were the costs of flights to Auckland, the accommodations, the surgery, and of course, the heart itself. But they were desperate, and her mother, Mali Stewart, had been willing to apply for a personal bank loan just so Dad could get his surgery done more quickly.

Unfortunately, Alex had found out half an hour ago the bank rejected the application. The risk of nonpayment set against her modest income as a lab scientist and the mortgage on the family home was too much. On top of that, she had her student loan and family living costs. Then there was Timothy and Emma, her younger siblings. Tim was just about to finish high school, and a university education was on the horizon. Emma still had a couple years to go.

Alex grinded her teeth. It had been one thing after another. The company Dad had worked for closed the Dunedin factory and moved it overseas, chasing cheap labor in their quest of the almighty dollar. Jacob's services were no longer required. What a bitter day that was! Dad went into overdrive trying to find another job. The stress led to his sudden massive heart failure six months ago, and it was a miracle he survived.

Alex hoped he had taken out health insurance, but as the ambulance sped him to the hospital, a frantic search of his papers revealed nothing. Too late now, she thought, but her mind wasn't in the mood for staying on one subject today. She remembered the text message she had received from Peter. She took out her cell phone and read the message again.

Happy Bday, Alex. Bck frm Qtwn. Catch up? Coffee?

I hve a frnd u shuld meet. He can hlp u & yr dad. C ya soon :P