Chapter 17.2

Bogrel had ended the conversation on whether they should enter the mine any further than the stockpile. "What could we find in there that would help us," he had said, and had silenced everyone. His thinking had cleared since he had remained sober, since losing their supplies with the death of the Aurochs. The sun had burned away the poison, and the spring refilled his veins. He stood among them with patience and confidence, and when he made the final decision, they listened.

They had carried more gold down from the mine, and despite Bogrel's discouragement, Ezrik and Damar took extra trips. Bogrel knew right away the danger this discovery could pose. There was easily far more here than they could reasonably carry, and who knew how much further they would need to carry it. They had already left good steel behind because of the weight.

They had already spent more time fussing over gold than food, and it meant a lean evening of scavenged vegetation to keep them going. Luckily some berry bushes grew near the shack, ensuring that there was at least something there for them to eat.

They spent a night at the ruins of the shack, though they gave it and the skeleton a decent distance. In the morning, Bogrel had to quell dreams of incredible wealth. "We can only carry some of this. Think of how you complained to carry the extra swords," he talked towards Ezrik and Damar especially. "These weigh no less. But there are the purer pieces, these are what we should take. It will still be quite a lot."

The boys still took ambitious shares to themselves. Bogrel collected several small nuggets in addition to a single fist sized piece. He helped use a rock to break small pieces for the littlest ones to take as well. Then they spent time rigging ways to carry their treasure. Eventually he had everyone ready to go when Ezara appeared with a healthy sized fish on the end of her spear.

Even he was convinced to stop and prepare the fish before continuing. With their hunger somewhat relieved, they set off from the mine area in the afternoon. Their progress did not require as much swimming or wading anymore. The canyon had widened once and for all, and it became a valley for them to hike through, though the red canyon walls still loomed to the sides.

By nightfall, the effects of carrying their treasure had become apparent. They wore down early, and most found sleep right away despite empty stomachs.

The canyon had opened and branched more and more as they travelled. Had they not been simply following the downstream route, it could have easily felt like a giant maze. Their one stream had emptied itself into a another, and that one into a river.

As they continued on after waking in the morning, they snaked around bends over and over. Soon they began to despair every bend that revealed nothing but wilderness. One more day of this and the group had to quit early. They were too exhausted and hungry to continue. Little Marik had barely found the strength to walk at all that day.

Recognizing this collapse early, Bogrel was able to find a comfortable and shady place to stop. He sat to recover, preparing to hunt or scavenge anything he could. The others lied down, ready to fall asleep.

All except for Ezara. She too sat in the shade, leaning on her favourite spear, mimicking Bogrel; splashing the face and stretching some sore muscles.

"Well, are you set?" Bogrel asked his niece and apprentice. They had found little time to practise lately, but still enough time to reinforce fundamentals.

She nodded, rising to her feet. She had taken to wearing her scarf tight about her head to catch sweat. The remainder dangled down her lithe back, acting as a shade from the suns. Her entire stance spoke of a sinewy strength that wasn't there a month before.

For the remainder of the daylight hours they foraged for food. The canyon River valley was a large area now, and gave them much opportunity. Two birds were caught using stones, but they found their needed game when they came across a type of deer. It was smaller than deer they were familiar with, but behaved much the same.

The pursuit lasted for several hours, but ended with the deer at the end of the spear tip. Hot, exhausted, but elated, the two spent a victorious moment sharing heartfelt grins.

They were back where the kids were left with Dara by nightfall. They spent a long night around the fire, cooking the meat and telling hopeful stories of their imminent future: Houses, property - they were going to own them all.

For many more days they continued. They eased on the pace, stopping for fish when they had the chance. Somehow, they had come to find comfort in their journey through this land. Well fed and watered, kept warm by the suns and the fires at night, feeling no threat from creatures about them, they were happy and safe. The constant threat of pursuit was left far behind. It caused them to tarry in pleasants spots for hours, and even days, in the nicest spot found at a bend of the river.

Bogrel and Ezara took more time to work at her lessons. Ezrik and Damar would spar with sticks, or swim in the river, as would Michelle and Garik. Dara and Sara kept a close eye on Marik and Reyelle as they refreshed themselves in the river. Their slowed pace allowed for Dara to work at their gear that needed attention. Shoes had long since worn away, replaced by crude approximations crafted of fur and skins.

Just as they had truly embraced their transient life, they saw a flock of goats upon a near hillside, and watching them, a boy.