Madurai also known as 'Temple city' is full of traditions. It is a city too. It has two malls. It doesn't have clubs and night life. I was never a fan of those. It is a city but it also has the traditional touch of India.

It is one of India's cleanest city. May be that's why these local people say proudly naanum Madura karandhan da! which literally means I belong to madurai.

I went to the warden or the caretaker. The hostel had a ground floor and two floors additional. It was a boys alone hostel. The warden was a man who has promised to his mom that he will never smile. He said that we have to stay in temporary rooms for now.

The ground floor was completely to first years so that ragging is prevented. My allocated temporary room no was 120. I took my bags and went to it. The rooms were rectangle shaped with restrooms on each corner. The middle was left to dry clothes but I couldn't see any clothes as we were new.

There was four corridors. My room was in the third corridor which had rooms till 121 to 130. I went and stood at the door awkwardly. There was 4 boys in it. There was no beds in it. The beds were given to maintenance and they promised that it would be ready as soon as possible.

The guy who stood at the end of the room was short and had sun kissed skin. He was not too fat or too slim. He was normal. There was a guy near him. Second guy was little taller than him. Third guy was of same height as the second guy and he was slim. The fourth guy who was standing near the door was very whitish. He was kind of fat.

He saw me and smiled at me. He said to me, "Come in dude, Are you in this room?"

He acts like it's his room. It is his room as much as my room. How did I forget it? I sleep alone in my room in my house may be this would be great?

May be I should get adjusted to the fact that I have roomates now.

I went and placed my bags in the edge. I removed my slippers in the beginning of the room when I saw the group of slippers removed.

At least my roommates keep the room clean.

They are not like the roommates they show in movies who keep the room very dirty. I had to accept that I was expecting one such room.

Everyone were silent. The fourth guy came and sat near me. He smiled at me and said, "Dude, What's your name? mine is Ganesan. You could have guessed it after seeing my belly but still I said this out of formality" Ganesan is a name of a God who has fat belly.

I said my name. I was getting tensed. I am in the middle of a group of strangers. I called my dad and informed him about everything happened. I went back and ganesan welcomed me again with a smile. He said, "Dude, We are finally in college then what do you expect?"

I smiled at him and said, "No idea. They are showing it as a dream days in every movie. Even if it was half the fun, I would be happy."

He said with a smile, "I studied in all boys school. Till 8th standard (aged 13th) I didn't feel any regrets. When I was in 9th standard (aged 14) I was feeling bad. In movies boys were enjoying with girls but I am struck with boys only class."

I couldn't stop the smile. He continued, "Life was like this till 10th  (aged 15)after that I went to study in virudhunagar. Don't see me like this. I know that district gives all toppers in state board exams but do you know how many people lost their future on that district?."

That district is still known for the toppers in state board exams where they make the students mug up things without understanding much and send off to college with high marks but with less knowledge.

I smiled at him and he continued, "There was two tall buildings there. We saw lot of girls and they were super hot. We decided that we are going to have a great couple of years."

I smiled and said, "Great dude. I can't do anything in my high school. Everyone know me so I had to act like a good guy."

He sighed, "MAN! We were 60 boys. There was 20 benches in the room. Each bench could have 4 boys. We adjusted and 60 of us sat in 10 bench leaving the remainder for girls. No one even complained, after all it was for the hot girls as we saw them waiting."

I said to him, "Then what man, you had a great time, am I correct?"

He said, "A teacher came and he asked why we are sitting like this and we replied that we left place for girls and he said that they can't enter this building even. They are in the other building next to the football ground which separates both buildings."

Everyone circled around us and they all laughed with us. Introductions were made. I asked him, "Man! you are one unlucky dude."

He said, "Dude, they allow girls to sit in the same class with us, Am I correct? If they don't allow then I have no other option then to change my college."

We all laughed and I said to him that we might get them in our class. A boy came and said to us that it's time for dinner. We stood up and decided to walk to the dinner.

I was happy and thanks to our Ganesen. May be college life is not bad after all it seems? Let's see what it has in for me.

*******

AUTHOR'S NOTE

What do you think of the first chapter?

Is there anyone who was or is in dorm?

Life at dorm is mostly the best teacher in life as teaches you many things and how to handle situations.

If you have any experience to share the do share it here.

What did you find weird in this chapter? 

You can just say, I will explain.

Take care be safe and stay blessed

-YAGAPPAR