Waxing Crescent

Michael Corner was not that good looking, if Ginny was being honest. She couldn't deny, he definitely was pretty. From a distance he looked much better, but now, in his dark and crowded living room, with their chests pressed against each other's and the sound of heavy breathing and pounding music surrounding them she saw him in a completely different light, literally.

She pulled away from him, cutting off his questions with a mouthed "getting a drink" there was no use shouting over this music. It was giving her a headache.

She stumbled out into the garden with her red cup and sipped, only to find it empty. Oh well. She must have tipped it over without realising. Ginny dropped her cup onto the grass and breathed in, running a hand through her red hair. The only people out here were passed out on the driveway or smoking in a huddle, leaning against the assortment of cars parked on the street.

She turned around, taking in the night sky and the cigarette smoke drifting towards the glittering stars. Everything here seemed so calm, the music from inside was a distant thumping.

Ginny sat down in the dewy grass, ignoring the damp and the stain that would probably never come out of her short white dress. She had been with Michael for quite a while, longer than she had been with anyone else, so it was probably time she broke it off with him. Before he dumped her, anyway.

Michael was the best looking boy in the school, but he was known for not keeping his girlfriends around for long. When he had asked Ginny out, sometime last year, she had been ecstatic. She had said yes straight away, of course and now, with the pearly white moon looking down on her, she wondered if that was the right decision. It was a full moon, Ginny noticed. She had read somewhere that the full moon made you insane. One who is seized by terror, fright, and madness during the night is being visited by the moon goddess.

She jumped when a voice spoke from behind her. She must have spoken out loud without realising.

"She's supposed to ride a silver chariot across the sky each night."

The girl who had spoken appeared beside Ginny, who was startled by her appearance. The moonlight reflected off her tangled pale hair, making it shine brightly. Her skin seemed to glow, her blue eyes stood out amazingly, ringed by long blonde lashes, and a swipe of kohl underneath each eye. Her lips were small and pink, a tiny heart set under her button nose. She didn't smile, though she looked content.

Speak of the devil. Ginny thought.

Because all she knows is that she was thinking about the moon goddess and now she's here beautiful and glittering in Micheal Corner's front garden. She must be going insane, under this watchful moon, because there is no way someone can be this angelic.

The girls dress is made of thin white cotton, it collects at her waist and then flares out, reaching her knees. She isn't wearing any shoes, Ginny notices. She opens her mouth to speak, but the alcohol has made her slow and she had taken too long admiring her, sitting in silence, and the girl has left.

Dammit, Ginny didn't even get her name, she gets to her feet quickly and stumbles, almost snapping the heel of her cheap shoes. She needs to find her, or the person who brought her. She pats herself down, getting rid of any dirt that she can. She looks filthy and she doesn't want anyone seeing her like this, especially not the blonde goddess.

She sighs, defeated. She can always ask around later, after the party, maybe at work. She kicks each shoe off and picks them up, turning to face where the girl floated off to. It's a beach, a rubbish one. Filled with sharp rocks and angry waves, always crashing against each other. Ginny hates it there. She can't imagine why the moon girl would want to go anywhere near it. From this distance, she can't hear the waves. It's deceptively calm. She turns toward her car and stumbles again, she is trying to find her keys in her purse when she realises that she didn't bring a purse, she's looking in her shoe and she is too drunk to drive.

She walks to her apartment, thinking about the mysterious girl all the while. She's at the sad drunk stage, she realises. She never seems to get past it. She takes off the white dress and puts it in her laundry basket, she will wash it tomorrow. She lies on her bed, thinking about moon girl till she falls asleep.