SIX

Day 12
"That's not possible," one of the men speaks up from behind Carter, as he continues watching me. He doesn't look surprised by my words, which gives me a pause. Most people would have the same response as the soldier.
"Can you tell the direction?" Carter asks, keeping his voice low. I close my eyes, concentrating on the virus raging inside the bodies downstairs. I can feel the precise way they move, as if they are led by disease, instead of the other way around. 
"They're moving from the east. I'm sensing at least nineteen now." I reply, opening my eyes. That's all Carter needs to hear, it seems, before he springs into action. Turning to his men, he barks out orders and before I know what's happening, we're moving.
It's feels like a scene straight out of an action movie. Their tactical gear is a stark contrast to our hoodies and jeans. Tom leads the way, with Carter, Matt and I coming up behind him. Two more soldiers are at our heels with the rest of the group behind them, and Carter's men bringing up the rear.
No one speaks. The urgency of the situation does not escape our notice. Everything we do is crucial these days. Nothing is a past time anymore. It's life or death.
These thoughts race through my mind as I follow the men down the hallway.
It takes us less then thirty seconds to get to the end of the hall, but it feels longer. Too long.
Something feels wrong and I try to push for some kind of a clue as to what it may be, but I can't feel anything. Not even the virus.
Suddenly, the world around me explodes into action.  Before I can call out a warning, one of the infected launches himself at us, blood and flesh dripping from his mouth, from around the corner, with two more close on his heels.
Tom shouts, twisting around and bringing up his long knife to attack. Blood sprays across the walls as the head flies off the shoulders and gets lost in the darkness. Carter pushes me behind him, keeping his arm around my middle, as another infected attacks from the side. His movements are practiced and almost easy, as he splits the skulls right in the middle. My ears are flooded with noise and that's when I realize Sam is screaming.
Ripping myself from Carter's grip, I rush to Sammy, clamping my hand over her mouth.
"You have to stay quiet," I half whisper into her ear, pressing her face into my shoulder. They're led by noise, more than anything else. I glance behind me and find the soldiers engaged in a hand to hand combat with at least ten of them. Pulling Sam tighter against me, I grip my knife with my other hand. We're blocked in now, as the infected are coming from both sides. Kenneth and Dan are staying close to us, trying to keep the infected at bay when I realize that Kelly is not among them. Before I can move, one of the soldiers screams in rage as two infected attack and Dan springs into action. Everything is happening too fast, my eyes are scanning the battle around me when I feel them coming.
"They're coming through the ceiling!" I scream, no longer concerned with the sound. Carter turns at my words, grabbing for his automatic.
"We have to move. Now!" He barks, discharging his weapon. The sound vibrates around us, ringing louder than a bell and for a second I think this is it. This is the end. Then, Carter is in front of me, pulling me to my feet.
"Can you find us a way out?" He shouts, as more of the infected descend on us. My body is shaking, and I don't know if it's from Sam, who is still clinging to me or from my own fear.
"Addison," Carter pulls my attention to him, reaching for cheek and turning me gently to him. I can't imagine a man this large and rough to be this gentle and the gesture distracts me momentarily. "Can you find a way?"
"Yes," I reply, determination racing through my blood as fierce as the virus that's hunting our every step. I'm not exactly sure where the bravery comes from, where I've found this new side of me, but I won't fall apart. Not again. Carter throws a brilliant smile my way, and turns to rejoin the battle.
I close my eyes again, as dangerous as that may be, concentrating past whatever this block I'm feeling. I didn't feel them coming and now we're stuck in the middle of a hallway, surrounded. Searching for the virus inside of those around me, I push past them and try to feel. Feel as much as I can.
"Carter," I call out, opening my eyes. He turns as if I shouted, moving towards me. "Second door on the right. I can't feel anyone."
Carter doesn't question my words, calling out to his men. I reach for Sammy, pulling her to her feet, the others on my heels. We move toward the room I indicated as one, my eyes still searching for Kelly. One of the infected breaks through the ranks, grabbing for Sam and I don't hesitate. My arm comes up of its own accord, slashing at the rotting flesh in front of me. I don't get the chance to get any farther, as one of the soldiers slams his machete into the heart, before cutting off the head. My feet are sticking to the blood soaked ground, as I push Sam to keep moving.
"Kelly is missing," I say the moment we barricade ourselves inside the room.
That's when the screaming starts.