Chapter Twenty-One

Hours ticked by, and finally, Link started to wake up. He coughed and opened his eyes slowly, he could see. He laughed excitedly, it felt as though someone had lifted a huge weight off his chest. He felt amazing! He smiled so widely, but that smile soon disappeared when he turned and saw Rhett, lying on the floor. Link's eyes widen with a sense of urgency, Rhett wasn't breathing, nor was his heart beating. Link put his hand over his mouth and screamed, tears filling his bright blue eyes and spilling out like a waterfall.

Link sobbed and put his hand on his best friend's chest. He hugged Rhett so close to himself, his body wasn't cold yet, but it was rapidly decreasing in temperature. Link set Rhett down and crossed his hands over the center of Rhett's chest. He pushed down, he was performing CPR. He pushed up and down on Rhett's chest as fast as he could, the tears still pouring down his cheeks. "Breathe, come on! Don't leave me! Please, brother, breathe for me!"

Link continued this over and over, but to no avail. He gave up after he knew nothing was going to happen. He fell to Rhett's side and sobbed even harder. His best friend, his brother, was gone. Link felt his heart completely shatter into billions of tiny pieces. He had been the reason Rhett had died. He was too weak, he couldn't stop the monster in time. He curled up in a ball on the floor, his chin tucked against his chest and his hands holding the top of his head down as he sobbed harder and harder. He felt like his world had just ended. He couldn't live without Rhett. He needed him. Who would be there to catch him when he fell? Who would be there when he needed Rhett and he would never come back?

Christy was now boarding the plane, her heart beating quickly. Not only was she worried, for her husband, she had a fear of flying and she was about to fly all the way across the country by herself. If anything were to happen, she'd be on her own to get through it. She sat down at the end of a row. She had an aisle seat next to a man and his daughter, presumably. After the obligatory demonstrations by the flight attendant, the plane took off into the sky. Christy's ears popped and she said a few prayers for both Link and Rhett.

About half way through the trip, Chrisy felt her heartbeat getting faster, she was start to panic. She closed her eyes and bit her lip. She breathed slowly and deeply, a fear growing stronger. A tear fell down her cheek. She leaned back and thought about Link, her children, she thought about the fact that every second that passed was a second sooner to this attack ending. She grabbed the bag and threw up into it. The girl beside her scooted farther away from Christy. The man on the other side leaned over his daughter.

"Ma'am? Are you alright?" Christy shook her head. "Do you want some water or something?"

"I-it's not gonna help. I have a fear of flying, usually my husband is here with me, but I'm going home to him now. I'm sorry, I'll be fine in a few minutes." The man nodded, a concerned expression, but he leaned back in his seat. He kept on an eye on Christy.

"What's your name?" He knew that talking to her and getting her mind off her fears.

"Christy. You?"

"I'm Jackson, this is my daughter, Julietta."

"Nice to meet you both." Christy smiled a little and calmed down a little, but she was still freaking out.

"You look familiar, Christy. Have we met before?" Christy looked at him and shook her head after a minute.

"I don't think we have, actually. Maybe you are familiar with my husband. Link Neal?" The girl's eyes widen and she gasped.

"W-wait. You're Christy Neal?! Link's wife! Oh my gosh! I am such a huge Mythical Beast!" Christy laughed and smiled. "This is the best day of my life!" Christy chuckled softly.

"That's awesome. Link's your favorite right?"

"Yeppers! You're so lucky! Oh my gosh!!"

"Oh believe me, I know." Christy winked and laughed. She was calm now, she wasn't afraid anymore. "Oh wow, I'm okay now, thank you both for helping and talking to me. It really helped." Jackson smiled, the plane starting to land.

"You're welcome, Christy. Glad to have been able to help you out there. Have a good day." Jackson smiled and it was returned by Christy. She got up after the plane landed and forced herself through the crowd. She was back in LA. Now she had to get home and make sure Rhett and Link were alright.

Link lied still on the ground, sobbing into Rhett's side as he hugged the slightly older man's body close to him. He couldn't even talk, his crying was too hard. His heart hurt, the emotional pain was so much worse than anything the monster had ever inflicted upon him. He needed Rhett, he couldn't live without him. He felt like he was dead, emotionally he was. He coughed and sobbed all the harder. Link started praying for a miracle. He prayed that Rhett would be allowed to come back, he prayed as desperately as he could.

Nothing happened and Link only sobbed harder, he hugged Rhett's body even closer to himself and coughed from crying so hard. That's when he felt an arm wrap around his back. He gasped and looked up, Rhett was smiling at him. He spoke, his voice quiet and weak. "Hey, brother, don't cry. I'm back. I'm okay and so are you. We're both alright. We're okay. We made it through. I told you we would."