Powers Chapters 3 & 4

Ryan--

I guess now is a good time to tell how it all started. Before we shifted to this new life, I worked somewhere more important. A secret lab in Antarctica. There, my colleagues and I were tasked to create robots. Not just robots, but Drones. These sleek black robots made of a titanium alloy are close to indestructible. That is, when using contemporary weapons. Most of our attempts at creating one successfully had failed. But mine, it was different. This one showed signs of success. As I made some final adjustments to the joint movement parameters the Drone suddenly came to life. It stared at me with that single stripe of lime green light, turned it's head questioningly at me and said:

"I am Drone one."

There was applause all around me as the Drone stood and flexed its legs and arms. It turned and stared at each one of us one by one and spoke for the second time. But there was no applause.

"Begin Alpha Protocol," it said.

We all stared blankly as the Drone produced a long blade connected to its wrist from the folds of metal on it.

"What is this?" asked my boss.

"I- I don't know." I said.

"Where did it get these combat capabilities from?" asked my boss, his voice rising.

"I have never seen anything like this before," I said.

The Drone turned to me and said the most horrid sentence, the beginning of this war we still fight today.

"All of your kind will die."

And with that, the Drone turned and fired the blade from its wrist into my bosses chest. Then turned and smashed down the door to the freezing air. It turned and said:

"Even though you are one of them, you are the Creator, so I must let you live. But we will meet again."

Thereafter, the Drone proceeded to wander off into the wasteland of the Antarctic.

I am responsible for this.

Joshua--

"Get up!" I heard Ryan yell from the other room.

"Fine, fine," I said gruffly.

I don't have to go to school so I just got dressed and turned on the T.V. My brother taught me what I need to know. What we do nowadays is help out others with Powers and search for our mother.

My brother emerged from his room dressed in a black jacket, a blue t-shirt and jeans on. His blonde hair disheveled and his azure blue eyes almost hidden by his eyelids.

"Where's my coffee?" he murmurs.

"Whoops, forgot," I say.

The cafe is down one level so I throw on a red shirt and some black Nike shorts and jog to the elevator down the hall. I press the button for floor 10 and wait.

Down in the lobby I hurry past the pool tables, bar, and balcony to the cafe. I hand the clerk three dollars and wait for her to finish the coffee. Her name is Morgan. She has light brown hair down to around her shoulders and light green eyes that are always sharp and ready for action.

As she returns with the coffee I smile and thank her. I walk back towards the elevator, but stop, and walk back over to her. She is one year older than me, 16.

I say, "Hey Morgan, I was thinking- whenever you get off, if you want we could play a game of pool or something."

"Sure," she says, with a bright smile.

I release the breath I hadn't realized I was holding in, said goodbye, and walked back to the elevator.

"I could get used to this," I thought as the elevator climbed to floor 11.