04

Anna and Bella were walking to the parking lot when the taller brunette finally brought up the subject of Edward Cullen. Bella explained to her that Edward had apologized and said he had been out of town for personal reasons.

"That was it?" Anna scoffed. "I'm sorry but 'personal reasons' don't justify how he acted. You deserve an actual explanation."

Bella simply shrugged. "It's whatever. His eyes were a different color today. They were almost black before, but today they were like a golden brown. When I asked about them, he just got really tense and walked away."

The duo reached Bella's truck just as Anna went to comment on Edward's behavior. Before she could even open her mouth, the sound of screeching tires and a car horn filled the parking lot as a van came barreling towards the two girls.

Almost as if on instinct, Anna's eyes shot to where the Cullens were gathered by their cars. All of them watched the scene unfold with wide eyes, and before she could blink, Edward Cullen was by her side, pushing her back so that she hit her head on Bella's truck. Edward's arm wrapped around Bella's waist, and his other hand shot out, preventing the van from crushing them.

Both girls watched in shock as Edward's hand made a large dent in the van. People in the parking lot were yelling and rushing over to them, but Bella and Anna were more focused on Edward as he stared at them for a few seconds before he got up and walked away.

Bella stood up first and offered a hand to help Anna up. She gladly accepted her friend's help, swaying slightly as she was pulled up. Anna held on to Bella for support and gingerly pressed her hand to her temple, wincing as she realized she was bleeding.

Ignoring everyone around her as they all freaked out, Annalise allowed her eyes to drift back over to the Cullen family. Each of their faces held different expressions as they watched the scene in front of them. Emmett seemed both concerned and annoyed while Rosalie was obviously furious. Jasper looked very confused and wary as he held back an extremely worried Alice.

Although she was slightly annoyed at the fact Jasper was holding his adoptive sister back, Anna couldn't help but smile at Alice's blatant concern. Of course, she realized, Alice could also just be worried in general. After all, other people were involved in the accident. Alice could very well just be worried about Edward.

Obviously, Anna had been too wrapped up in her thoughts because she failed to notice Bella waving a hand in front of her face.

"Anna, please say something. Are you okay?" Bella asked.

Anna nodded and immediately regretted doing so. She must have hit her head pretty hard because the small action made her dizzy and made her vision really blurry. "I'm fine, but I think I hit my head a little too hard. How about you?"

"I'm not hurt," she said, making Anna sigh in relief. "Angela called 911 so there should be an ambulance here any second."

As soon as she said it, Anna head the sound of the ambulances' sirens. Although she wasn't injured, Bella was forced to ride in an ambulance to the hospital. Tyler, who had been driving the van, was more beat up than the two girls, so he got an ambulance to himself while Anna and Bella rode together.

When they all got to the hospital, they were put into a large room where nurses quickly went to work evaluating the three teens. After only a few minutes, the door burst open, and Anna's mom and Chief Swan came rushing in. Each parent immediately went to their respective child's side.

"Oh, sweetie!" Anna's mom sighed worriedly. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

Anna was about to shake her head, but thought better of it when she remembered how hard she had hit her head. "I'm fine, Mom.  My head just hurts a bit."