Chapter 9 - I've Been Dreaming About You

Chapter 9 - I’ve Been Dreaming About You 

Before the blade made contact a tan colored wolf with orange eyes leapt on her and tore out her throat. Tobalt awakened but as he ripped into her esophagus, Shelia, with her last bit of strength started to bring the sword down towards Tobalt. Cooper was ready this time. He lunged forward colliding into the bloody, furry mess, and ripped the sword from the woman’s hand. He placed it on the ground and with one foot on the sword and a hand on the hilt, broke it. The black obsidian shattered into two pieces. He spun around to see Will, drenched in Sheila’s blood, still in shock. Cooper hurried and helped Will up, “We’re going to get out of here.” He finally believed it.

            Tobalt transformed back, naked and bloody, he grabbed Cooper’s hand and they proceeded to the exit.  Roars, screams, and blood filled the room and the carnage had only gotten worse as the three reached the exit. The double doors were locked but Tobalt made quick work of it ramming into it with his shoulder. The old ballroom doors weren’t much of a challenge. The three proceed through the lobby ignoring the wounded. Once outside the hotel it was quieter. They ran as fast as they could, which was a limp for Will, who had twisted his ankle when he fell.

            Once in the car, Will started driving, speeding down the freeway. Will’s hands shook as he grasped the steering wheel. It was clear he was still in shock.  He swerved just missing a car, “Will, stop,” Cooper shouted as Will jerked out of the way before hitting another car. It was late and there weren’t many cars on the road. However, this reckless driving and their bodies covered in blood would surely land them in jail. “Will,” Cooper shouted again.

 In a gruff voice from the back seat, “Will,” Tobalt added putting a hand on the smaller man’s shoulder. Will registered that and pulled to the side of the 10. He opened the car door and moved around to the passenger side. Cooper took the wheel and drove the rest of the way back to Will’s house.

            The three entered dark loft-style apartment with now dried blood all over them. Will walked directly into the bathroom and the sound of him vomiting filled the air. Cooper went in and put a hand on Will’s back. The boy slumped up against the wall his shirt still soaked. Tobalt stood at the door, still naked, eyeing the two with his wolf eyes.

            Will was still in shock and Cooper walked to the standing shower. He opened the glass door and started the water. A few seconds later he tested it warm, with steam rising. Cooper walked over and flushed the toilet. “Help me,” He instructed and Tobalt stepped into the bathroom lifting Will up, cradling him in his arms and placing him standing in the shower. Cooper and Tobalt took Will’s clothes off and started to bathe the frozen man.

            “You’re okay,” Cooper whispered putting shampoo into Will’s hair and massaging it into his scalp.

            “Should we take him to a doctor?” Tobalt asked moving the showerhead to get all the soap out of the man’s hair.

            Cooper shook his head, “he’ll be fine.” Cooper wasn’t sure but hoped for the best. After wrapping Will in a towel the two put him on the couch and placed a blanket over him. Will fell asleep quickly then Cooper and Tobalt went into the bathroom.

            The warm water felt good as it hit Cooper’s body the droplets forming a warm blanket and the steam filling the air. Tobalt’s body glistened with droplets and the small shower had just enough room for both of them.

            “Thank you,” Cooper cooed as Tobalt wrapped his large boulder-sized arms around him, “for doing that to protect me.” Cooper referred to the fact that Tobalt joined the cult, at least temporarily.  Tobalt nodded and held Cooper close in the shower. The two naked bodies pressed against each other. Cooper loved the warmth from Tobalt. He put his head on Tobalt’s chest and heard his heart beat. He could fall asleep to this sound.