Chapter 1 - You Wouldn't Mind If I Crashed

Chapter 1 - You Wouldn’t Mind If I Crashed

Cooper Morris sat staring off into the distance his mind racing a mile a minute. First to the lake that his father and him fished at during the summer, then to his brother’s football tournament where he came out to his parents for the first time; and finally to the police siren whizzing by outside the small café he was in. Cooper had hometown cuteness about him with a cherubic face kept bouncers unsure about his Virginia driver’s license.  He tried to focus on the cheap plastic airplanes swirling around and the fact that the sex shop across the street was having their bi-annual sale.

            “I’m so, so sorry Cooper.” Parker Van Hault hugged his best friend and sat across from him on the tiny iron café table. “And you just found out today? When are you heading down?”

            Coopers eyes focused on Parker processing his words. “Yeah, I booked a plane ticket, going to fly into Richmond tomorrow morning. My flight is a red eye.”

            “Oh wow, it’s happening so quickly. Do you need help? A ride to the airport or something? Help packing?” Parker inquired as he reached down into his tight denim shorts to pull out an iPhone, checking a text message.

            Cooper had been living in Siverlake, Los Angeles in a tiny one-room studio for the past three years after he graduated from the small private college of Pepperdine. There he met Parker and they became fast friends. Parker was from Orange County born and raised. Growing up in Southern California Parker picked up some undesirable habits. One of which was an obsession with appearances, money, and his iPhone. Even with these obsessions Cooper managed to stay friends with Parker – for better or worse. 

            “Yeah a red eye, wow. Yeah, the event I was planning on going to got canceled so I’m all yours.” Parker turned. “Do you want some coffee Cooper? I’m going to get a quick frap and then we’ll go back to your place and help you pack.”

            “Thank you,” Cooper nodded and turned to look outside. He stared at the sex store and noticed a small rainbow flag in the window.

***

Seven Years Earlier: Bay Tree, Virginia

A much younger Cooper Morris waited on the porch of his house in Bay Tree, Virginia. An old French-Victorian antebellum with a lot of character built by his great, great grandfather Spanish moss blew in the wet southern wind. He had just learned of his full scholarship to a university in a state way on the other side of the country. He could not wait to get out of this Podunk town and never come back. Inside the house was shouting.  His parents screamed at each other but never like this. They were fighting about something new: his mother’s affair.

Dave Morris exited the house in a sleeveless shirt and baseball cap. He carried a suitcase and stomped down the porch. He stopped for a moment noticing Cooper sitting with his feet hanging through he railing, which ran around the porch. Dave’s hand reached towards his son but then froze when a then Eva Thompson-Morris came to the door in a pastel yellow blouse and pearls. She was much more put together and just looking at her one couldn’t tell she’d be the cheating kind.  But that was a lesson Cooper learned the hard way.

“Don’t you fucking stand there and look at me like that. Not with your goddamn son sitting on the porch watching. We all know what a slut you are.”

“Okay, okay Dave just calm down and come back in the house. I told you that you don’t have to leave.” Eva shouted from the top of the porch.
            On those words Dave pivoted around and marched to his pickup slamming the door, screeching the engine, and barreling off into the night.