She eased the chamber door open and peered into the hallway. No one was around to catch her up in a conversation. The sconces flickered quietly against the stonework, illuminating the hallway in patches in both directions. Despite her life growing up, she'd never felt so paranoid before, she could only think it was the unexpected sleep that disturbed her.

Elyn's cheeks still felt puffy. She moved silently down the hall and made her way to the entrance. She kept a chuckle to herself as her heart raced seeing the guards posted outside the entry. She recalled the escape from Castle Iverlochy, and how tight her throat felt convincing the guards into letting her and Gavin pass.

She bowed her head and quickly moved between the two men. They were daydreaming and paid no attention to the robed woman pacing out of the castle and into the village square. She silently thanked the Lord they didn't interrogate her on how she was feeling.

The streets were empty. Only a couple of villagers and merchants were loitering about, chatting quietly or laughing all too loud. She hurried to the bridge that separated Eilean Donan from the highlands, wanting to feel the cool wind scoop her emotions out of the mud.

Finally free of the castle walls, she started hiking across the bridge. but her unease didn't fade. She glanced over her shoulder at the castle, trying to see if there were any eyes staring at her as she departed.

As she finished crossing the bridge, the cool and wet scent of the highlands finally tickled her nose. She smiled as a gust of wind blew hard against her furs, pulling the scent across her exposed skin and disappearing in the distance.

Then, a pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around her and clasped her tight. Before she could react, a bag went over her head and she was thrown into the air.

She tried to scream, but her voice cracked as she was hauled and thrown into a cart. Her shoulder slammed into the hard wood with a shocking force that knocked her head. She groaned loudly as she heard someone scramble to climb inside, and a whip crack that was followed by the lurch of the carriage as it moved away from the castle.

Elyn's heart raced and panic overwhelmed her. She kicked and struggled to move, but a man's voice sounded out harsh in her ear.

"Shut yer mouth or I'll give ye a reason ta cry out!" He slammed his hand down on her and held her against the floor, keeping her from struggling. She tried to thrash even more violently, hoping she could at least knock the bag off her head and see who her captors were. The man growled in frustration and punched her in the stomach, making her wheeze with excruciating pain.

"That's betta', now hold still ye little wench," the man said. He dragged a rope against her body and bound her arms and feet before she could catch her breath. She felt groggy and exhausted, feeling the same sense of dread fill her as the cart moved further and further from Eilean Donan.

"Where are ye takin' me! Donae ye know who I am?" Elyn struggled again, fighting her binds in waves of energy. The man chuckled and spoke to the driver.

"Ye hear this? This wench thinks we made a mistake!"

The driver chuckled, his voice just as gruff as the other. It was hard for Elyn to tell them apart.

"You're the useless, suckling babe of the MacDonalds, and we're here to save you, yer highness." The man's voice was venomous and without a hint of concern. He continued. "Elyn MacDonald, the King is going to be happy about this."

"The King?" Elyn said, not even attempting to hide the shock in her voice. "What does he want with me?"

"Just ye cooperation. I'm sure he'll get it after dispatching Gavin, at any rate."

Elyn's heart sank like a stone through a loch. "Gavin?"

"Aye. Gavin MacKenzie. Your Laird."

"What have ye done with him!" Elyn struggled to sit up. Her eyes burned through the burlap sack, she desperately wished she could pull it off. It was too dark to see through the stitches, and she could only make out the vague outline of the man who was harassing her.

The man laughed again, slapping his leg just as a rock bounced the carriage. Elyn stumbled over and fell on her face. The man ignored her. "Donae worry ye pretty little head..." the man said. He softened his voice and touched Elyn's back. "I can see what the man sees in ya."

Elyn rolled over and forced his hand off of her. "Donae touch me or Gavin'll make sure ye regret it."

"Shut up, I'm already tired of hearing ye yammer." The man kicked the wind out of her and she buckled over in pain. "Think on that next time ye threaten me." The man stood up and climbed through the front of the cart, joining the driver on the outside.

Elyn squeezed her eyes shut to fight back the tears. She felt them drip off her face and land on the sack anyway. She breathed quietly and slowly regained her composure. The rumble of the cart's wheels was monotonous and familiar. She knew they'd pass Dornie soon enough and then she'd be out of luck.

The smell of the highlands was trapped in the sack. She tried to savor them, but felt foolish for leaving the safety of the castle. Is this what Gavin meant when he said she'd be safer? So much for that.

She sighed to herself and tried to stay still. She didn't want the men getting any ideas. She would roll out of the cart if she had to, but it wasn't any use if she couldn't even stand. Elyn heard the two men talking to each other, but they kept their voices low. It was impossible to decipher them over the rumble of the wheels.

She groaned and shut her eyes. Hopefully sleep would come, and she'd wake up to realize it was all a dream after all. Gavin would be back with her, his arms holding her tight as she told him every horrific detail.

But she knew the truth. It wasn't a dream at all. Worse yet, she didn't know when the nightmare would end.