A Late Night Adventure

Start from the beginning

"Macca!" John's high pitched whines came from the bed again and Paul finally spotted an empty water glass on the dresser.

"Yes, yes! I'm coming. Don't get your knickers in a twist," he retorted and snatched the glass off the dresser, before turning back to the bed, where he saw John clutching the pillow he had put aside, holding it all the way up to his chin as he stared at the spider on the wall.

"Come on, John. It's not even a big one!"

"Piss off! If I remember correctly, you were the one letting out a girly high pitched yelp at the sight of it! And if you're so tough, please just get rid of it so we can go back to bed," John said and Paul gasped rather theatrically at that.

"Did my precious ears deceive me or did I just hear the great John Lennon just say 'please'?" he asked, but all he got in return was a death glare. He quickly nodded, took a deep breath and pulled a sheet of paper from the little notebook beside the bed, before approaching the wall with said spider on it. Thankfully, it wasn't moving anymore. Carefully, he raised his arm, moving slowly to both prepare himself and get the spider by surprise in one go, but before he could trap the spider in the glass, he changed his mind and turned back around as his arms fell to his side, his nerves getting the best of him.

"John, open the window, yeah? I want to get it out of here as soon as possible." John nodded in reply and got off the bed to do as Paul had said, clutching at the bed and the wall as he moved, his knees feeling weak. As soon as the window was wide open, Paul took a couple of deep breaths to calm himself and his nerves, before turning back around, raising his arms once again, higher and higher, until... no. His fear won out, Paul being terrified of the idea of actually capturing it and needing to bring it all the way to the window to throw it out of it. What if it crawled out again?

"You know, you could just kill it?" John suggested and Paul nodded at that with a sigh, liking the idea of having the spider dead much more, than carrying it somewhere else while it was still alive. God, he hated spiders. He wondered how he and George had ever managed to do this that one time in Wales when they had gone hitch-hiking. Probably they had only managed it because of George and their childish stupidity, none of which he had now.

"Right. Er... do you have a book or something I could use?" Paul said as he rushed back to place the glass back on the dresser, moving as far away from the spider as possible. John pretended to think as he closed the window again and shuffled to the other end of the room.

"No. I er... I had planned on spending this holiday with you, after all, not reading books. You know, enjoy Paris, the city of love and all that."

"John, you always bring a book. Where is it?" Paul asked, being slightly irritated. He had known his friend for long enough to know he wouldn't go anywhere without at least one book.

"But I still wanted to read it!" John whined in objection, but with one last firm look, he added, "It's in the drawer of the bedside table." Paul nodded as he got it out, keeping a watchful eye on the unmoving spider on the wall.

"Don't worry. You'll get it back," he assured John, who scoffed in return.

"Yes. With spider blood all over it."

"You ought to be thanking me for this, you know."

"Don't worry, I will, as soon as that damn evil spider from the deepest pit of hell is dead." Paul chuckled at that and nodded, taking his time to collect himself and gather enough courage as he shuffled back over to the spider, whining as it moved, not liking the sight of that at all. Once he was close enough, he leaned with one knee on the bed to get a littler closer so he could hit the wall harder and slowly raised the John's books. Thankfully, it wasn't that thick, making it easier for Paul to hold and smash the spider with. He took a deep breath and tried to steady his hand, as he kept his eyes firmly on the still unmoving spider, preparing himself.