Chapter 7: Fighting My Own Battles

Start from the beginning

I glanced down and saw even though I'd pulled the magic in it was still coating my body like a second skin. I was glowing like a roman candle. I started to speak then stopped. That hadn't helped last time. Jerking to a stand I winced as the chair flew back and hit the wall. My magic pulsed dangerously as our company eyed me warily. I got to the entrance way before Zak spoke. 

"Where are you going?" Glancing over my shoulder I chose my words very carefully; see I could be an adult. 

"To eat with the children." I was on the stairs before I acted childishly. Brushing Zak's mind I spoke. 

"Stupid dumbass idiotic FAIRY!" Feeling his wince at the volume I smiled grimly as I hit the top step. See I could be an adult and I felt much better. I wasn't even glowing anymore. Zak's mind brushed mine as I followed the smell of food to the children's dining area.  

"Actually you sent that to all of us. Not just me. Poor cousin is reeling at such improper behavior." I ignored him as I opened the door to face Lai and Garrett. His cousin could kiss my ass. 

"I heard that. And the king is lucky he has feelings for you or I would be interested myself." A foreign voice in my mind was weird but something I'd probably have to get used to. I shut the door and turned to the kids as Zak's growl echoed in my brain. Oooh he was pissed, plan five was back in action. Jerk.  

Garrett continued eating as I walked over but Lai looked up to glare. I raised my hands in a 'come in peace' gesture. 

"Can I eat with you guys?" Lai looked like she thought this was a trick but she nodded then slid a plate of food over to me. Taking a bite I swallowed then spoke. 

"Avon, my youngest sister, would have thrown a fit if we'd sent her to another room to eat." Garrett and Lai chuckled at the word fit but they'd never seen Avon in action. 

"Picture a seven year old with and eighteen year old brain and unlimited skills in fighting, weaponry, and pressure points." I shuddered and looked over at them. They looked at me wide eyed as I pointed my fork at them. 

"Have you ever had a seven year old push three pressure points on you simultaneously so that you automatically collapse to the floor?" When they shook their heads I grinned. 

"Neither have I but she could have if she'd wanted to. However, she sure as hell put a sword to your uncle's heart when he busted in our house." Lai giggled but quickly sobered as she glanced at the door. I rolled my eyes and looked over already knowing who was standing there. Zak had his warrior face on again. I sighed and set my fork down then stood. 

"Looks like King has to speak to me but don't worry I'll come back at dinner if that's okay?" Lai started to nod then glanced at her uncle. I laughed.  

"I'd like to see him try and stop me." Walking to the door I grabbed Zak's hand and dashed past my guards. 

"Come on King we need to talk."

...................