The Coffee's Host

Olive green glass bottles hung from the ceiling, each bearing a light bulb inside, which illuminated the small and quiet establishment. Oak tables rested on black wooden flooring, while windows, at the front of the shop, permitted natural light into the space. Black linen shades were pulled up above the windows, as oak chairs waited for customers to sit upon them. The smell of rich and freshly brewed espresso floated through the air, and warm pastries lined the inside of the glass display by the counter. Behind the counter were various liquors, which remained in colorful bottles and displayed their labels proudly. A particular blueberry liquor was the favorite of one of the regular customers. It complemented the taste of a blended white chocolate mocha quite well.

In fact that one certain customer was within the coffee shop at the present time: this time being three thirty in the afternoon. They seated themselves at the front of the shop, so that they had a view of the apartment complex across the street. Every day at this time, since a little over a week ago, they would sit at a window seat to enjoy the view, which would occur in fifteen minutes. Swirling their olive green straw around in the dark green glass, they waited for their object of interest to appear. Thus in the meantime, they lifted the straw out of the drink and made sure to scoop up some whipped crème on the end.

It was a weird habit of theirs, but they hated mixing the whipped crème in with the drink. Moreover, they didn't like it sitting on top for too long either. With this in mind, they ate the crème with the straw. Besides, it tasted much better on its own. Just as they were licking the sweet treat off the straw, though, something unexpected happened. The door to apartment number eight opened, unveiling the item of interest.

The customer's emerald green eyes widened at this. Why was she leaving early? She never left her apartment early. At least she hadn't during the time of his careful watching. Moreover, why was she coming towards the coffee shop? Swiftly, he turned his gaze away from the window and set the straw back in his drink. Perhaps, she wouldn't notice him, when she entered. It was doubtful, but he could hope.

She wasn't supposed to see him until tonight. Then again, perhaps there could be some benefit to this. Maybe, they could get coffee every day after this. In fact he could potentially consider this an unplanned date between the two of them. Of course, he couldn't jump right in front of her and seem too eager to see her in the shop. No, he would only act if she noticed him first. Wrapping his hands around the dark green glass, he rubbed away some of the condensation and smiled lightly to himself. What would happen in the next few moments? The rising anticipation was surprisingly enjoyable.

He heard the small bell on the door ring, when the door was opened. The distinct sound of boot heels clicking against the wooden flooring resonated throughout the small shop. This sound stopped, however, and the male glanced over towards the counter. She stood in front of the pastry case, examining the items within. His eyes watched her lift her right index finger, which pointed towards a blueberry strudel. Likewise, he heard her order a cup of black coffee. Once the barista took her order, she turned away from the counter and locked her gaze with his.

A small expression of surprise graced her countenance before confusion took a hold of her. In response to her reaction, he waved slightly before signaling for her to come over. Hesitance danced in her (e/c) eyes until (f/n) decided to go over to him. She took a seat across from him, still somewhat shocked from seeing him.

"Edgar, what are you doing here? I didn't expect to see you until tonight."

Like he mentioned last night, he had seen her already before today. He had watched her silhouette move across her front apartment window. It was a shame that curtains blocked his full view of her, but after he saw her turn off her living room light, he left for his own home.

"I decided I wanted some coffee, and so I stopped in here," he answered simply, stirring the straw in his drink. "I take it you had a similar thought process, though; you usually bring a thermos to work, right?"

"Well, yes, I do. I just thought I would get something different for a change. You know treat myself to something," she answered, as the barista came over and set her order on the table before walking away.

Edgar gave her a singular nod in response and saw her tear off a piece of her strudel. She popped it in her mouth, as a smile twitched at her lips. It soon grew wider, and he found it quite adorable. An idea, however, entered his mind, and he decided to carry through with it. Placing some more whipped crème on his straw, he proceeded to drop the crème onto her pastry. Afterwards, he licked the remaining crème off the straw.

(F/n) blinked a few times before she looked over at him. "What was that for?" she questioned with a slightly irritated tone.

"It will taste better with it. Try it before you get mad at me."

To his satisfaction she did as he said. Eating a piece of the pastry with the crème, she chewed and swallowed, as a look of liking crossed her face. He couldn't help but grin inwardly at her reaction; he rather enjoyed directing her actions. Right now, it was only suggestions, but that could very well change in the future. It certainly would be appreciated if that turned out to be the case.

"Can I have some more of the whipped crème?"

Another surprise happened. She wanted more? Well, he could definitely provide her with more. Granted, he would add a small twist to her request. After all he wouldn't let a perfect opportunity slip him by. Thus, he went to move his glass towards her, but he stopped halfway. (F/n) gave him a questioning look, especially when he moved the glass back towards him.

"Make a deal with me."

Crossing her arms over her chest, she inquired, "What would this deal entail?"

"I get a piece of your strudel, and you get more whipped crème."

"Fine, I suppose that is a fair exchange, but I'm only giving you a small piece."

Indicating with a small smile for her to go ahead, Edgar saw her tear off a tiny piece; she was quite true to her word. Next, she held it out for him to take, but instead he pulled an unanticipated move. He rested his elbows on the table and placed the palms of his hands under his chin. The brown-haired male opened his mouth and waited for her to put the pastry piece into it. At this a faint tint of pink dashed across her cheeks, and she huffed out in embarrassment. Still, she wasn't going to let him get what he wanted.

Thus, she smirked and threw the miniscule portion of strudel at him. Caught off guard by this, he quickly moved his head, so that he could catch the item of food. Succeeding in this, he swallowed it after savoring the sweet taste. Moreover, he was quite impressed by her course of action. She had diverted from what he desired of her to do. How long would that continue, though, he wondered. Regardless, he did manage to get her to blush, however. It was a beautiful color on her. The way it highlighted her eyes and complemented her hair was magnificent. He could tell that she was waiting for her whipped crème, though.

Keeping this in mind, he put some more on the straw and dabbed it onto the pastry for her. Once he completed this, he returned the straw back to his drink and took a sip. He took a quick glance at his brown leather wristwatch, which was on his left hand, and saw that it was almost a quarter of.

Noting the time, he let out an audible sigh and stated, "You know you should probably head to work. It's two minutes till a quarter of four."

Her response was to speedily check her own watch, and when she saw the time, she stood up abruptly from her chair and downed her coffee. Afterwards, she grabbed the pastry in her right hand, ready to practically run out of the shop. Before she could wave goodbye and leave, Edgar reached out and grabbed her left wrist. Suspicion swept across her (e/c) eyes, as he stood up from his seat. Without saying anything, he kept his grip on her wrist and swiped his left thumb across her lips. The action caused her to tense, especially when he licked his thumb afterwards.

"You had some coffee on your lips," he voiced before releasing her.

Red decorating (f/n)'s cheeks, she nodded and darted off towards the store. Edgar could only hope that she would be stuck on that incident for the rest of the day; he wished for it to plague her mind. Sitting back down, he saw her run off before slowing her pace. He adjusted his beige blazer and grey button-up before he tied the black ribbon in his hair tighter to make sure it was secure. Furthermore, he brushed some crumbs off his maroon skinny jeans. Somehow the small pieces of bread had managed to get on him, when (f/n) tossed the strudel over to him.

Focusing back on his drink, he nearly pushed back some of his hair on the left side of his face. Luckily, he stopped himself in time after realization of what he was about to do. His mind was becoming consumed by her so much that he almost made a vital mistake. A light chuckle escaped his lips. Being so enraptured by an individual was most certainly interesting and was causing him to behave in ways he didn't know possible. What an exciting experience this would be.