Chapter 37

Immy's POV

I take a long shower to try and wash away the day of mayhem and stress. It's strange to think that only last night I was running around in the forest, so much seems to have happened since then.

I crouch down into a ball, letting the steaming hot water wash over me in painful torrents. I wipe my hands over my eyes, not caring about the small smudges of black that had escaped from my lashes.

I pull myself together and stand up, turning off the faucet and wrapping the thin, white towel around my body. I wipe away the fog on the dusty, scratched mirror and look at my chalky complexion, drastically different to the deep purple bags and grey streaks.

I change quickly and leave my hair loose to dry naturally before I head to my room. I pick up biscuit and place her on my shoulder, relishing the comforting feeling of her warm, soft body curled up against my neck.

My eyes scan across the selection of books I have lined up on my shelf and eventually settle on something I haven't read in a while, Little Women. I wander down to the common room and settle in an armchair, resting biscuit on my lap.

I'm so engrossed in the book that I almost don't realise that I'm not alone any longer. My head snaps up and by a horrible coincidence it isn't some insignificant person but Remus Lupin, shuffling around and gathering up some books.

Our eyes lock together and I can feel my eyes revealing everything. Pouring my soul out on the carpet in front of me.

His eyes go glassy as he realises that I know exactly what he is. As quickly as he appeared he shuffles away, head held low as if he can feel my eyes gazing after him.

A group of first years appear, laughing and flopping down on the sofas whilst chatting away about something that happened during their lesson. I half listen in to their pointless gossip, happy to have my mind taken off everything for a minute or two.

The room falls silent as a new figure walks though the portrait hole and I curiously look up at the person. To my surprise, McGonagall stands there, looking over us all before her eyes land on me.

"Imogen, I need to see you in my office, now."

Everyone's eyes snap up to us and I can feel them questioning and judging me.

I mark the page I got up to and slowly follow her down, my warm socks cooling against the solid flagstones. I hug my book to my chest as I go, looking around at everything I pass, trying to memorise it all just for the sake of my strange mind. She leads me into her office and gestures for me to take a seat, sitting down opposite me behind the thick mahogany desk.

I cautiously sit in the claw-footed, leather armchair, Biscuit climbing up my arm and across my neck. I carefully lift her off me and place her on top of my book in my lap, looking up at McGonagall and apologising with my eyes.

"Well." She starts. "I'm happy to say that St. Mungos wants to give you an experimental test with a new spell. It will work like the voice amplifier, you place the wand to your neck and your words will come out, even without you having to move your mouth."

I smile and pretend to be grateful, but in reality, I like having to write everything out. I see people everyday being rash and saying offensive things that they don't always mean, but they don't think because talking is just too easy.