Angstrun grimaced. 'More or less. I'm a minion down. One of my aides - one of my best, typically - has absconded without leave. Naturally this suggests a rather terrific guilt over something.' He glanced at the Glinnery delegates, sighed, and elaborated. 'I have six assistants taking care of the Night Cloak, two on duty at any given time. They maintain the Cloak, activate it at moonset, deactivate it at moonrise, repair leaks, that kind of thing. I daresay you have the same arrangement.' He glared at Laylan Westry, Glinnery's Chief Sorcerer, as if the Cloaking system was entirely her fault.

   'We do,' she said, mild in the face of Angstrun's lack of manners.

   'One of them has vanished. Young chap, not the sort to go to the dogs I'd have said, but you never know. He has the ability and the necessary access to move the Cloak, and his disappearance implicates him.'

   Vale spoke up. Today he was looking most handsome in uniform, his Chief Investigator's badge prominently displayed on his left lapel. 'And the other five? It couldn't have been any of them?'

   'Naturally it could have been any of them, but I don't think it was. They know what I'd do to them if I found out. Anyone with enough guts to do the deed would have wits enough to put a lot of distance between the two of us.'

   'You're sure the man left voluntarily?'

   'No,' said Angstrun briefly. 'That's your job.'

   Vale permitted himself a small smile. 'True enough. What's the name?'

   'Ed Geslin. Edwae, that is.'

   'Thanks.' Vale scribbled messily in a small notebook, chewing on his lower lip as he pondered the information. It was one of the habits Eva found most endearing.

   'Thank you, Lord Angstrun,' said Guardian Troste. 'I believe that's everything.'

   'Fine.' Angstrun stood up. 'I'll pull back the Cloak, unless anyone has any more objections.' He glared fiercely down at the group.

   'I do.' Elder Sanfaer's eyes held a hint of amusement as she looked at Angstrun, though her tone was quietly firm.

   'Oh, you do?' said Angstrun, with dangerous calm. 'On what grounds, pray?'

   'We would like to examine that cave before we return to Glinnery, and it would be preferable to have the company of several of those gathered here. Including you, Lord Angstrun. Your collected expertise will be invaluable.'

   'Approved,' put in Guardian Troste. 'The cave is clearly central to these incidents. It is high time it was properly investigated.'

   Angstrun looked at the ceiling. 'Do you realise how long it takes to restore the balance of the thing after an interruption? The Cloak goes back at moonset tomorrow, and not a minute later. Better do what you need to before then.'

   'That will be plenty of time,' said Elder Sanfaer, gracing Angstrun with a smile. 'Thank you.'

   'In the meantime, I've some assistants to question.' He left without another word.

   'Well.' Troste looked at Eva. 'High Summoner Glostrum, perhaps you'd share the progress of your efforts regarding the whurthag problem.'

   It was late when the meeting finally closed. Eva took the first opportunity of speaking privately to Elder Sanfaer, catching up with her outside of the Council Hall.

   'Ynara. You received my letter, I hope?'

   Elder Sanfaer inclined her head in assent. 'Yes. Thank you for the warning.'