Some perverse part of him made him want to punish her, watch her squirm a bit.  He gave her his cockiest smile.  “What do I get in return?”

She studied him for a minute before replying, the fear obvious in her eyes.  “Anything you want.”

He danced her to the middle of the floor and pulled her close so they could talk better.  Or at least that’s what he told himself as he wrapped both arms around her waist and tugged her close, unable to suppress another smirk at the feel of her full breasts pressed to his chest.  “I want a woman to let me make love to her on the back of a horse.”

She mouthed, “Oh my God,” before her head dipped and he couldn’t see her face again.

His lips twitched as he smothered the urge to laugh.  She hadn’t forgotten their discussion about sexual fantasies.  

She finally raised her head and looked back up at him.  “For five minutes of your time?  All you have to do is help me get rid of her.”

“And at some point you’ll have to break our ‘engagement.’  I need a beer.”  He dragged her off the dance floor toward the bar. 

She’d never agree.  Skye might have, but not Jade.  She was too much of a straight arrow.  But if she did, he’d get a kick out of teasing her in front of her mom and watching her squirm some more.  Jade tugged at his hand harder and harder as they neared the bar. 

He whirled around and glared at her, tired of her tugging.  “What?” 

“Will you do it?”

“Jade!” came a sharp voice from behind him.  He turned and what he saw froze his blood.  If he thought Jade looked haughty, she had nothing on the petite, well-preserved blonde bearing down on them.  He resisted the urge to shiver and wrap his arms around himself.  She was just the sort of person he’d never had any use for.  Self-important.  Someone who thought the word stopped and started with them.

Will you?” he shot back, even though it was damn near too late.

Jade nodded vigorously and stepped in front of him, pulling his head down to hers.  “She thinks we had an argument!”

“Got it.”  He brushed his lips against her cheek, for show, and stood to face her mother, ignoring the exotic scent of Jade’s perfume.

Mrs. Ballard was perfect, from her sharply pressed jeans that probably cost more than everything he had on, to her pale sweater set and pearls.  She had Jade’s nose and the same haughty expression Jade liked to use, but otherwise he didn’t see much of a family resemblance.  She weighed, measured and assessed him through narrowed eyes, and he got the impression she found him lacking. 

Not that he gave a shit.

Two could play this game.  He pulled Jade as close as possible and plastered the most loving look he could manage on his face as he leaned over and kissed her temple.  Her soft hair tickled his cheek and she smelled warm and earthy, spicy.

“Jade, I really don’t care to stay here any longer than necessary.”

“Relax, ma’am.”  He held up a finger and smiled before leaning over and hollering over Mrs. Ballard’s shoulder, “Kellie honey!  Bring me a beer, and bring one for my girl and her momma, too.  Would you?” 

He bit his lip to keep from laughing.  Now all he needed was some dip.  Too bad Bo wasn’t around.

Kellie, who stood over by the bar, where Jade’s mother couldn’t see her, wrinkled her nose and motioned for a brand.