Understay VIII - The Near Hereafter

At first, their knocks were met with no reply.

"... maybe she's not in." Asriel muttered.

"She'll be in." Frisk replied silently, staring at the rune emblazoned on the door. The Delta Rune... the symbol of all monsters. He briefly wondered why humans didn't have such a sigil, but he was stopped by the crack widening, by a deep rumble he had heard only once before. The door was opening, and the person on the other side was a face he had missed since he had entered Snowdin. Toriel.

"My child, are you well?" she smiled, looking at Frisk kindly.

"Mom..." Asriel sniffed. Frisk had an image of the two hugging, mother and child. His hand slipped from Asgore's as he moved towards Toriel, desiring the same hug. Toriel was happy to oblige, kneeling with arms spread to embrace him. He had missed this comfort, this warmth.

"Tori." Asgore smiled, shuffling somewhat uncomfortably, but clearly pleased to see her again. Toriel didn't share this joy, though.

"Dreemurr." she replied coldly, adjusting her grip on Frisk to lift him as she stood up. "This isn't like you."

"I know." Asgore sighed, glancing down to avoid meeting Toriel's eyes. "I... I'm sorry."

"Of course you are." she huffed. "You've had six chances to go and obtain the missing souls. Six chances to admit to your mistakes."

"Yes, I have made mistakes. So many mistakes, I can't possibly apologise for them all." Asgore hung his head. "I didn't want to rob monsters of the hope I had given them, but nor did I want to hurt any human that came down. Truth be told, I wanted to care for them, just as I do for Frisk."

"So why did you kill the others?" she frowned. "Why spare Frisk?"

"They would not stay... they had gone through our kingdom and only desired their own freedom. They cared for none of us. Frisk cared for them all. He has decided to give his life for us, instead of taking even one of ours. He wants our freedom, and will work for it." Frisk nodded vigorously, making Toriel glance at him.

"So why not raise him yourself, at New Home? Why come here?"

"I..." he sighed, looking into Toriel's eyes. "I wouldn't be able to. I'm a terrible father alone, but more importantly, New Home isn't safe for him. The monsters still demand his Soul. He would be safer here, with you."

"He would be safest with his family." Toriel looked like she wanted to say more, but Frisk distracted her with a firm hug.

"You are my family." He whispered, closing his eyes. Toriel stopped, eyes widening a little in surprise.

"... m-my child..." she whispered, still somewhat shocked. Asgore dropped to one knee, bringing his arm over his chest.

"Toriel Dreemurr, I beg for your forgiveness. You have rightly shown mercy at times I would have done nothing but blindly attack. I am strong in body, but you are stronger than I in mind and in heart. I beg of you, allow me to return. Make my life a dream again." He extended his other hand up, offering it to Toriel. She hesitated, glancing at Frisk.

"I... you ask a lot of me, Asgore..." she looked back to Asgore. He was smiling.

"How many years has it been since you called me by that name?" he stood again. "Tori, I-"

"Asgore." she silenced him with a word and a glance. "You are the sole reason monsters have remained down here for centuries. You are the reason monsters believe they are at war with a race most have never even seen. I cannot forgive a warmonger like you." Asgore's ears drooped on hearing this, and he turned to go.