Understay III - The Light Before The Dusk

They could already hear metallic clanging echoing from the doorway. Frisk glanced to Asgore, who returned it. Frisk decided to knock, but there wasn't a response.

"I don't think they can hear me..." He commented, trying again to the same result.

"Let me try." Asgore requested. Frisk stood aside and Asgore stepped up, readying his fist to knock. The first thump shook some loose snow from the roof, the second dented the door and the third caused the rest of the snow to plummet from the roof, burying Frisk and half of Asgore with a resounding "whumph" sound. The clanging stopped and footsteps approached as Frisk worked to free himself. He'd just freed himself when the door opened, revealing a confused-looking Undyne. Her confusion turned to shock at the sight of Frisk's guest.

"A-Asgore?!"

"Hello, Undyne." he chuckled, reaching down to help Frisk to his feet.

"Whuh... what are you doing here? I thought you'd be in New Home!"

"I was in my palace when Frisk arrived. We went over to the barrier, and yes, I attacked him, but he's had an interesting idea."

"What, becomin' a snowman?" She gestured to Frisk, who was still dusting snow off of himself. "You'd better come in before you freeze your butts off."

"Thank you." Asgore nodded, letting Frisk enter first. He sighed in relief at the warmth of the house; as beautiful as Snowdin was, its distance from the Core left it far too cold for his liking. Asgore followed behind, pulling the door gently.

----

"Wowie!" Papyrus exclaimed, peeking through from the kitchen. "Is that really you, your highness?"

"Hello, Papyrus." Asgore smiled, waving briefly. "How are you two?"

"Fine!" Papyrus grinned, starry-eyed. Undyne, however, was frowning, deep in thought.

"Sir, what kind of business would bring you out here? If Frisk had died you'd be working on breaking the barrier..."

"Undyne!" Papyrus chastised. "At least offer our guests a drink before anything else! The poor human looks colder than when we fought!" Frisk smiled gratefully, gently rubbing an arm as Papyrus disappeared into the kitchen again. Undyne's frown didn't improve as she continued to stare at the two.

"Something's up." she muttered. "Frisk, I thought you were more determined to get outta here. Why'd you come back?"

"I.. I was thinking about what Sans said... that I didn't have any LOVE but I had plenty of love."

"Oh, jeez, did he do that whole "judge of all beings" spiel again?" she sighed, rolling her eye. "Just 'cause an old friend of his did something weird..." Frisk chuckled slightly. Papyrus entered again, carrying a tray of glasses of water.

"Of course you have plenty of love, human! I do not date any old so-and-so, you know! I have very high standards!" He set the tray down, giving everyone a glass.

"You told me you dated him because he could cook spaghetti." Undyne commented off-handedly. Papyrus flailed in surprise, then tried to shush Undyne with a finger to his teeth. Frisk and Asgore giggled quietly at the show. "Anyway, what were you saying, kid? Somethin' about love?"

"Yeah, well... He made me think about what I wanted, where I wanted to go... and I figured out people would want me here more than in my world."

-----

"But what of your family?" Asgore frowned slightly.

"I don't really have any... My parents died a long time ago and I don't have any siblings"