Chapter Twenty- Paint Me Blue

"Just on time," Victoria spoke as we got to the art class, we were the first ones in so I went to sit at her table until more people would show up.

"It seems like just on time means more like three minutes early," I pointed out.

"Uh hello, that's exactly what it means," Victoria's eyes widened slightly as she began to fiddle with her charm bracelets, she seemed just as anxious to submit her assignment as I was to submit mine, after all, we were both completely obsessed with art...to think that our hard work didnt pay off in the way we hoped it would, I would shudder to think about me getting below a C, it seemed silly, but it was the truth.

"Of course it does,"

"We're fashionably early, speaking of fashion... where did you get that sweater?"

"Why? Is it ugly-" I looked down to my sweater.

"No reason in particular." Victoria cut me off, with a slight sigh I turned away from her to think about my project, silently hoping that maybe it would be better than I thought it would and bag me that B I had been wanting to get, if it didn't I guess it didn't matter all too much, I mean, what's an artist without a little obstacle in the road every now and then? My dad had always said you couldn't just race to the top of the mountain, it took time to get there, moving around the cracks and crevices in the rocks surface. That metaphor seemed more real here at university than it had anywhere else.

"Erm...Kate?" Fox roused me from my thoughts, I looked up to her and began to speak.

"Nice talking with you, Kate. Fox," Victoria uttered as Fox and I began to head over to our desk, it seemed like Victoria was a little upset that I was leaving, it was probably just me being optimistic, she wouldn't care.

As Fox and I showed each other our projects the other members of our class arrived to take their seats, now all that was missing was Mrs Elto, who I hoped would be here soon. I hated waiting for things at times, particularly when I was nervous about my grades, I would always want to know them as soon as possible. "I'm sure you did swell," Fox said, as she caught onto my nervous expression.

"We can hope,"

Fox just nodded, we turned our attention to the front of the room when Mrs Elto showed up, "Would you like help with that?" Zachary asked I reference to the stack of papers she held, Mrs Elto shook her head though.

"That won't be necessary, thank you,"

Ouch. Rejected by the teacher.

Zachary shifted in his seat and began to tap his pen against his desk. Victoria leaned forward over the desk and messed his hair up, it was amusing in all seriousness, Zachary turned to her with narrowed eyes though, clearly someone wasn't in a very good mood.

"Pft, I like her more every day," I turned to Fox, who seemed to have been watching Victoria too.

I just nodded.

Victoria was okay, really great even, she was better than I initially thought she would be.

Mrs Elto began to explain that she wanted each of us to go to the front of the class to hand her our assignments, while she was doing that the rest of us got on with painting whatever we chose. I didn't notice what I was doing and unfortunately as Victoria walked past I flicked my paint brush and some of it landed on her sweater. Oops.

She turned to me with an amused glint in her eyes though, and dipped a thumb into my blue paint to wipe it across my cheek. "Payback," she whispered as she moved to the front of the class.

"Is she flirting with you?" Fox laughed lightly in disbelief, as she handed me a tissue so I could wipe the paint from my face.

"I highly doubt that,"

That was impossible, and ridiculous, yet some part of me almost hoped that she was.

Fox just began to hum as she smirked at me, and then returned to painting her landscape of some sycamore trees. I took my brush and dipped it in some of the light brown paint I had mixed, I was painting a bunny, simplistic but, I loved animals.

After a while the bunny was almost complete, which was good, because soon after that Mrs Elto called me to deliver my assignment to her. "Thank you, Kate," she said, I headed back to my desk to find that in the corner of my paper that I had been painting my bunny on was a message.

'This is cute, like you' I looked around to try and spot someone out, but I got no one. "Fox...who wrote that?"

Fox just smirked "No idea,"

"Lies," I said out of frustration as I sat down and finished off painting the bunny.

Fox had her eyes on Victoria for the rest of that lesson, I knew that because I could tell the direction she was looking in, and it wasn't towards her work. Had Victoria written the note? If she had, maybe she was just messing about, I mean she had turned me into some abstract art piece when she 'misplaced' that paint onto my face. Although, it did amuse me. It was nice to just be cool with Victoria now.

"Zachary, you hopeless idiot, give me the black paint," Victoria glared at him.

"Sorry, sunshine. I need this," Zachary clicked his tongue and turned back around.

"Like hell you do,"

They were like school children, honestly.

While Mrs Elto had her attention on our work, it made it easier for Victoria to climb over her desk and victoriously steal the paint back into her grasp, she then climbed back into her seat. "You're kidding, this is empty," Victoria said in disbelief.

"This is insane," Fox started to try to suppress her laughter, I was working on doing the same. Not long after that though, the lesson ended, and I started to think about what I would do before the party.