Extra Credit for Herbology

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled.

"Where were you?" the Minister for Magic demanded of him. "As Death Eaters attacked the village at the foot of your school, as He Who Must Not Be Named's followers destroyed the lives of dozens of people within minutes, just outside the gates of your school -- I ask you, Albus. Where were you?"

Moody's eyes averted.

Dumbledore smiled. "My dear, you know as well as I that an old man has many secrets."

"You weren't in your office. This I know for the moment we got wind of the incident, I sent Antonia Creaseworthy through her portrait to find out if you had gotten wind - to be certain the school was protected... only to find that not only were you not in your office... but... you were not in the school at all." Eugenia Jenkins's mouth was quite pinched.

"Had the Death Eaters begun an assault on the school, Madam Minister, I assure you wholeheartedly that I would have returned in a moment's time. However, as it is, I beg of you to recall that I am the headmaster of Hogwarts school - not of the village of Hogsmeade. Where were your aurors?"

"Where were they indeed?" Eugenia demanded, glaring sideways at Moody. "It seems I was missing quite a number of my aurors last night, Mr. Dumbledore. Alastor Moody. Fabian and Gideon Prewett. Kingsley Shacklebolt. Just to name a few."

Dumbledore barely blinked.

"Albus, my point is that you abandoned your post, and left a great deal of lives unguarded..."

"I do beg your pardon, Madam Minister, but they were hardly unguarded. I appointed a very fine deputy headmaster to look over them while I was gone - and for but a few hours, might I add.

"Even so, the level of attention being given these children is hardly living up to what they ought to be given. No discipline is being given! September 1st, I'm ordered to the Hogwarts Express, stopped not even an hour out of London, all the windows smashed in from a dragon-bomb! Complaints from the Mermish about a levitation charm used on the Giant Squid, who in turn has complained previously about Filibuster Fireworks being dumped through the drainpipe! Flying motorbikes stolen from your little Muggle museum... Reports of children dueling dark wizards! And now, tonight, just now, I've approached the school to find Mr. Lupin and Mr. Black here engaged in a terrific fight. Right on the front steps of the school!"

Dumbledore looked from Remus to Severus, a curious expression on his face.

Both Remus and Severus were about to jump in with their explanations to Dumbledore when the Minister for Magic said, "While I am aware that such circumstances under the Dumbledore stead here have previously gone unpunished, or lightly punished at best, you'll be answering instead to the Ministry for Magic. For fighting on the school grounds, you will each serve one week of detention."

Remus's jaw dropped. "A week?"

"Yes, a week."

She turned to Dumbledore. "Albus Dumbledore, I am very sorry, but as of this moment, you may consider yourself to be relieved of your duties as the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

"YOU CAN'T SACK DUMBLEDORE, YOU STUPID TWIT!" Sirius shouted, angry, "YOU CAN'T!"

Dumbledore was staring at her with wide, sad eyes, which he turned to Sirius at the outburst, and said, "Mr. Black... please."

"What?!" he demanded, then he looked at Remus and Lily and even Severus. "They can't! Can they?" he turned back to Dumbledore, "They can't -- you can't be sacked! That's not -- you're -- you're you!"