James's Date

James's Date

Winter was cruel for the next week. Temperatures far below freezing, snow howling, winds that bit and nipped. It was so cold that even the owl post was delayed. James worried that it would snow clear until 4 January and he was so nervous he'd end up having to miss the cinema that he paced about the living room, listening to the wizarding radio for news on when the terrible weather would cease, hoping to Merlin that things would calm down in time for his not-a-date-date with Lily Evans.

But 4 January dawned the first clear day in a week, the sun out and bright on the heavy drifts of snow. James had woken up just after five o'clock in the morning and run to the window to see it. He pumped his fist in excitement and ran to his closet, ripping open the doors to see what sort of muggle clothes he had that might impress Lily that he could wear.

At six, he heard stirrings in the house and knew his parents were downstairs so he put the finishing touches on his clothes and went down to breakfast. He'd expected a barrage of compliments the moment he walked through the kitchen door but instead he got a surprised stare from Charlus and Dora, who had just turned about with the pan of bacon that had just finished magically cooking, gasped - not in a good way.

"James... what're... what're you wearing, son?" Charlus asked. He was trying not to laugh.

James looked down. It was a tuxedo, complete with tails, a nice blue cumberband and a matching bowtie 'round his neck. "Muggle clothes," James replied, "I'm going to the cinema with Lily Evans today. Remember? You said I could..."

Dora looked helplessly at Charlus.

Charlus's lips quirked at the corners. "So these are your cinema clothes, 'ey?"

James looked down at himself. "Too much?" he asked, looking back up.

Dora covered her mouth and turned away, her face red with the effort not to laugh.

"Just a wee," Charlus replied. "Here... c'mon upstairs, I'll help you."

"Thanks," James answered.

Dora called, "I'll keep the breakfast warm..."

Upstairs, James undid the tie and cumberband from himself and tossed them onto the bed. He was rather glad - the tuxedo wasn't very comfortable at all. He'd been worried about it. Charlus reached into James's closet and emerged a few moments later with a shirt, tie, and sweater set. "And you wear your jacket over that, since it's cold," he added. "And you'll want some cologne, I'd imagine."

"Alright," James said, and he started changing.

Charlus leaned against James's dresser, his arms folded, staring up at the ceiling, a far-off look on his face that James recognized as his strolling-down-memory-lane expression. He was doing up the tie about his neck when Charlus finally spoke, "Your first date."

"Third, really," James said. "I've taken Annalee McKinnon to Valentines and to Yule Ball..." he paused, "But... those don't really count, I don't reckon. I don't fancy Annalee like I do Lily Evans..." He stared up at his father. "Besides, it's not... not really a date, she said so.. It's just as friends..."

Charlus smiled, "That's how all the best dates begin."

James stared up at him with wide eyes.

"She wouldn't have asked you if she didn't like you, son," he said.

James hadn't considered that. What if this was a veiled attempt at giving him a chance without admitting that's what she was up to? What if he was being spectated, like when the scouts had come to the Ilvermorny-Hogwarts tourney to seek fresh blood for the future British quidditch teams? James suddenly felt a thrill of sickness run up throughout him and he questioned how he looked, peering down himself to inspect his clothes again. "Blimey, I'm really nervous, dad."