Llandry nodded. The papers were mostly independent, and they reported whatever they pleased - the more sensational the better. The bulletin boards, on the other hand, operated via Irbellian technologies licensed by the Glinnery government, and their content was carefully screened. Many people waited for the bulletins to pick up a story before they would give it any credence.

   She cast a questioning look at her father. As an expatriate of Irbel and a talented engineer, Aysun was employed as a technician - among other things - with Irbel's local engineering outpost. Part of his job was to maintain and update the boards with new headlines. If a story on the so-called "whurthag" was planned to appear soon, he would know.

   Guessing her question, her father shook his head. 'Haven't had any orders on that kind of news.'

   'What do you know of this 'istore', Llandry?' Devary's enquiry was mild enough, but Ynara shot him a look of deep suspicion. He spread his hands. 'That the istore is important is beyond question, Ynara. It must be identified.'

   Llandry disliked having his attention fixed on her. She averted her eyes, instead watching Sigwide devour his dinner. 'Not very much,' she admitted. She told him, rather hesitantly, about her cave, how she had discovered it. 'I wish I had a piece to show you. It's more or less opaque, but with a bit of translucency. Indigo coloured, shines silver. It isn't like any gem I've ever worked with before.'

   'It emits light?' Devary sat tapping his fingers against his cheek, apparently in thought.

   'No. Well - only in the cave. When I remove it, it stops glowing.'

   'When you say it is unlike a gem, what do you mean?'

   Llandry pondered the question for a moment, trying to recall the way the stones felt in her hands. 'They don't feel like gems,' she said at last. 'They aren't cold the way stones are. But I've never cut one. Somehow I didn't want to.'

   'The interest they have caused is ... feverish,' said Devary. 'Do you know why?'

   'Well, I...' For some reason Llandry did not wish to share her connection with the stone with this stranger. But he was right: the questions were important. 'When I wear it, or hold it, I feel different. I feel less... less anxious. Calmer, stronger even. And I feel almost like I could - could -'

   'Could what, love?' asked her mother. She smiled encouragingly at Llandry, squeezing her hand.

   'I don't know. I feel like I could do things I've never been able to do before. I can hear animals better. Once I could almost talk with Sigwide, in a way. His thoughts were clearer to me and mine to him. And I could sense more than before. Like hearing better, but not the same.' She stopped talking, embarrassed by this long speech. A hated blush crept up her cheeks.

   'Clearly it is remarkable,' observed Devary. 'If it has this same effect on others, then it is no wonder it has taken the fashionable world by storm.' He smiled at Llandry. 'Thank you for answering my questions.'

   Llandry merely nodded awkwardly. She was growing tired now, her limbs heavy, and her wounds were hurting.

   'Back to bed, Llandry, love,' said her mother, looking narrowly at her. 'You're tired. I'll dress your wounds again first.'

   Llandry was quite ready to leave the room and escape Devary's scrutiny. She stood up, slowly, but her knees weakened halfway across the room and she almost fell. Her father and Devary both reacted; Devary was the closest and reached her first. She found herself scooped up and carried to her room. She was gently laid down on her bed, and a moment later Sigwide was placed on her pillow. She barely noticed as her mother bathed her wounds and replaced her bandages. She fell asleep with Sigwide curled against her face.