Chapter II

The trek to the castle was not nearly as pleasant as it should have been. First, Charlotte was separated from Ada, whose duty was to help take the first years to the castle by boat; Charlotte ended up riding in a carriage full of rambunctious second years. Then she nearly ran head first into Professor Snape, earning her a black mark in the man's book not half an hour off the train. She spent as long as she could looking for Deek, whom she had sent to Viktor with her latest letter, but he had yet to return. This caused her to be one of the last students to the Great Hall, where the only seat left was next to Cho Chang and her group of friends. Charlotte had never had an issue with Cho or her friends, but neither had they sought each other out.

When the puddings had finally been demolished, and the last crumbs had faded off the plates, Hogwarts's Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, got to his feet. The buzz of chatter filling the Hall ceased almost at once, so that only the howling wind and pounding rain could be heard.

"So!" said Dumbledore, smiling around at them all. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you the list of objects forbidden in the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-Yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Banishing Boomerangs. The full list comprises of some four hundred and seven items, I believe, and can be views in Mr. Filches office should anybody like to check it."

The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched. He continued, "As ever I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Charlotte heard someone from the Gryffindor table shout, "What?"

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teacher's time and energy – but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts – "

But at that moment there was a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors of the Great Hall banged open. A stranger came forward, carried by a real leg and an artificial one that clunked every time the man put weight on it to step forward. As he reached the teacher's table at the front of the Hall, he reached out a hand that was as badly scarred as his face, and Dumbledore shook it, mumbling words no one could hear. Dumbledore gestured the man to the empty seat on his right-hand side.

"May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," said Dumbledore brightly into the silence. "Professor Moody."

It was usual for new staff members to be greeted with applause, but none of the teachers or students clapped except Dumbledore and Hagrid, but the sound echoed dismally into the silence, and they stopped fairly quickly.

Dumbledore cleared his throat.

"As I was saying," he said, smiling at the sea of students before him, all of whom were transfixed on Mad-Eye Moody, "we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the remaining months, an event that has not been held in over a hundred years. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Tri-Wizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" said one of the Weasley twins loudly.

The tension that had filled the Hall since Moody's arrival suddenly broke. Nearly everyone laughed and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley, "he said, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag and a leprechaun who all go into a bar..."