chapter twenty-four // constant state of confusion.

Start from the beginning

I glance at him, my turn to wear a look of pure confusion and concern. As I stare at him with suspicion, his lips turn up in a humored smile.

"A little cramped and sweaty, but otherwise, I suppose," I admit, not feeling the need to sugar coat the evening for Zayn as I might for Jonny.

For some reason I can't help but to compare the two in my mind constantly, though they are nothing alike. Perhaps that's why I can't help but to take note of their differences. 

"You?" I ask, wearing a smirk to myself as i ask this friendly question that wouldn't come out of my mouth had Zayn not asked it first. 

"Didn't get much sleep, actually," He shrugs, his eyes shifting away from mine as if he couldn't look me in the eye. 

Instantly my mind starts to work at a million miles per hour. I can feel my palms getting sweaty as my pulse quickens. I can just feel myself being overcome with jealousy. I should have known Kenzi would have made a move on him. 

Though for some reason, it feels as if I had been betrayed, which is the silliest thing on this planet. You can't be betrayed by someone that wasn't yours in the first place. 

"I mean, sleeping next to Kenzi, who could sleep?" I grumble bitterly, taking my eyes off Zayn to stare up at the ceiling of the tent. 

I've really surprised myself with how much I'm letting this Kenzi girl get to me. Last night when we were all around the bonfire with the others, I could barely stand watching the two of them laughing and whispering. 

"Nah," Zayn says softly, causing my angry eyes to fall upon him once more, "She's far too much like my ex," He shakes his head, his eyes staring into my own with sincerity. He wears a look of assurance, as if he were trying to comfort me and my green thoughts. 

My curiosity peaks as Zayn speaks of his ex, a person I've never heard of. I can nearly picture the girl in my mind, pretty and charming like Kenzi; the complete opposite of me, I have no doubt. Though for some reason it makes me feel slightly happy that it didn't work out with a girl like that; with a girl that wasn't me. 

"Your ex?" I repeat, trying my best not to sound as if I were trying to pry into his mysterious personal life that I have no knowledge of. 

 "Mhm," He nods, looking back up towards the tent ceiling, masking his face with an unreadable expression that only increases my curiosity. 

I can't quite tell what Zayn's thinking by his tone, nor his expression and that makes me incredibly nervous. I never could imagine a boy like Zayn getting his heart broken, but the more I'm getting to know him, the more realistic he's beginning to become to me. It's very plausible that whoever this ex is, hurt him. 

Zayn glances towards me through the corner of his eyes, catching me staring at him intently. He chuckles as I look away quickly, pretending that I hadn't been gazing at him, my cheeks flaring a deep red. 

"Someone's nosey," He murmurs, still wearing that annoying little grin of his. 

"You can't just say something like that and not expect me to be curious," I mutter back, narrowing my eyes as I wear my signature stubborn look, causing him to laugh loudly.

His laughter brings a smile upon my face as those little crinkles appear at the sides of his eyes, causing him to look like the warmest and most inviting person ever. I have to resist the urge - that seems to have come out of nowhere - to cuddle into his chest. 

"I can't not expect you to be curious, that's for sure," He teases, wearing an amused grin, watching me carefully as I roll my eyes. 

Zayn rustles beneath the covers, his sock covered feet grazing against my bare legs, as he turns on his side to face me. Our faces are mere inches from one another's, our noses nearly brushing. I pretend not to feel the static pulsing between the two of us.