CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

"He made me feel better and I ended up saying 'yes' to his question of being an official couple. The first few days were nice and I liked having someone to call 'boyfriend', but when we hit the point of being together for almost a month, the doubts came back, which I'm still having today. I just don't know what to do anymore. It's not like I'm unhappy being with him, but I don't know any more if I am opposite as well."

"Can I just say something?" Ivory asked after Courtney had stopped talking.

"Yeah, of course."

"Didn't he take advantage of you being in a vulnerable state? If I was him and the girl that I liked – who was having doubts about starting a relationship – was crying in a hallway and suddenly kissed me and said that she does want to be together, I wouldn't go along with it. I would wait until she is feeling better and more like herself and then ask her for her answer. Court, you gotta understand that in a state like that, your emotions were all over the place and you might not have realized that being with him was actually not something that you wanted."

Courtney was silent and didn't know what to say. She had never looked at it like that. "What are you saying right now?"

"I'm saying that you should break up with him if you aren't feeling the relationship any more. It doesn't seem fair to yourself and him to keep this up anymore. From what you've told me, it seems clear to me that you don't like him anymore and maybe you never did, but made yourself think you did. You deserve someone else, who doesn't keep up fronts," Ivory smiled at the blonde, who took a sip from her coffee, which seemed to have cooled down. "But it's still your decision, Courtney. I'm not forcing you to do anything. If you want to give him one more shot, you go ahead. If you want to break up, you go ahead."

☤☤☤

They had just finished their rounds together with their resident and stood still at a nurses' desk, where Bailey assigned them their tasks for the day. Cristina and George were going to be on a man named Stu's case. He had fallen from a five-storey building and had nearly hit George. By some miracle, George had moved just seconds before the man fell down on the floor and Stu had survived. Alex and Izzie were working together on a case with Addison, while Meredith had a case alone. Courtney on the other hand would be working in the pit that day. She didn't mind working there, since it mean that she was able to help more than one person. Surgery was amazing of course, but helping a lot of patients had just the same amount of fun.

The group of interns dispersed and went their own ways, meaning that Courtney was going down to the pit. The blonde took the elevator, since she was not in the mood to take the stairs. The doors went open and she was faced with almost every patient bed being full. It was going to be one tough day. She took a deep breath and cracked her knuckles. She quickly pulled her hair into a high ponytail, so it wouldn't get in her way.

With it swaying side to side, she walked to her first patient of the day. The blonde grabbed a chart and a ballpoint pen from the breast pocket of her coat. She glanced at the patient, who was sitting on the bed in front of her. It was a brunette girl, probably nine or ten years old. Her face looked puffy and red – probably from crying. Her mother stood next to her, holding onto her hand. "Hello, my name is Doctor Grey." Courtney greeted the mother and her daughter politely with a smile. Her blue eyes landed on a deep wound on the little girl's leg. "That seems painful. What happened?"

"Mackenzie was playing outside with some of her friends. When suddenly one of the girls decided she wanted to go looking for ghosts in an abandoned building down the street, which is a stupid idea. I told my girl numerous times that it's dangerous to go in there, but she went anyway."

"Sorry, mom. I'm really sorry." The little girl muttered, looking up at her mother in tears.

"Don't cry, Kenzie. Just listen to me next time, okay? When mommy says that you shouldn't go somewhere, don't go there," Mackenzie's mother said as she placed a stray hair behind her daughter's ear. She turned to look at Courtney, who had been watching them with a small smile on her lips, and continued telling her what happened. "Then, they crawled through the fence, but Mackenzie's leg got stuck. For some reason, the other girls thought that it wasn't that bad and she just needed to continue crawling through and everything would turn out alright. It didn't as you can see. When she got home, I immediately noticed the wound on her leg and I drove here." Her mother ranted clearly angry at her daughter's friends' actions.