Chapter Twenty-Six: I'm Headline News

Beginne am Anfang

                “Fussy,” Sirius teases.

                “Says the boy that got his hair in his tea and started screaming in the middle of the Great Hall,” I smirk.

                Sirius sticks his tongue out at me.

                I sigh and glance at James’ watch. “I should get going. Mum’s expecting me for dinner.”

                “Alright.” James says softly. “I’ll see you next week.”

                “Yeah. Love you.”

                “Love you too.” James says as he kisses.

                “UGH! MY EYES! MY POOR EYES!” Sirius wails.

                “Mate, shut up!”

                I land lightly on my driveway. I hate apparition. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it. I walk up to the door and ring the doorbell.

                “Lily! How was Christmas?” Mum says. She has a tight smile on her face. She looks extremely nervous.

                “Mum, what’s the matter?” I question.

                “Vernon’s family is still here.” she admits softly.

                Oh. “Um, that’s going to be an issue. What if I go and get a room at the Leaky Cauldron for now.”

                “Lily, you’re underage.” Mum says sternly.

                “Not in my world, Mum.” I remind her with a smile.

                “What about going to Alice’s or Marlene’s?”

                I frown. “Alice’s street was attacked by Death Eaters- don’t worry, they’re fine. She can’t go home until the ministry’s cleared it.”

                “Marlene’s?”

                “Marlene is still in the hospital. They’re trying to find a solution to her problem. Her family is extremely stressed. I don’t want to give them anymore stress.”

                “What about any of James’ friends?”

                “Sirius lives with James. I actually haven’t seen Peter since we left for Winter Break. I could probably ask Remus.” I mentally review a calendar. Wait, it’s a full moon. That doesn’t work. “Actually, that wouldn’t work. Remus’ mother is sick again.”