✦ chapter 8 ✦

I take the money from the couple and they leave holding hands with a smile on each of their faces. I go over to the table they were eating at and start cleaning it up. After I finish, I walk back to the cash register as Lily takes the customers order. Lily was another waitress and she had started a month ago. Like everyone else, she was nice to me but we weren't friends.

"Lauren!" I hear my name being called out. I look up and find James walking up to me.

"Hey James. What are you doing here?" I ask him with a smile. It was only yesterday that the whole honey proposal happened.

"Well, I came here to eat. Obviously." He says and rolls his eyes but he had a small smile. I laugh. "We both know you only came to see me." I tease with a smirk. He slowly nods and then breaks out into a smile. "Okay, maybe." He says with a shrug. "You just love me." I say and grin.

"Anyway, come on." I say and lead him to a small table. He takes a seat and reads the menu. I take my notebook and pen out of my back pocket of my jeans and wait for James. He turns to me and says, "what's good here?"

I think it over, mentally skimming over the menu that I had memorised. "We are well known for our BLT sandwich." I say.

He nods his head in approval. "I'll have one of those, peasant." He says with a mischievous grin. I roll my eyes and do a mock curtesy. "As you wish, sir." I write it down and then give Duncan the order. The diner wasn't too busy today and I stand in front of the cash register, waiting for any customers to pay.

"Who is he? Is he your boyfriend or something?"

I turn and find Morgan staring at James with a weird look in his eyes. He was working as the barista today. I study him for a couple seconds before I answer. "No, he's just a friend. Besides he could never like me like that." I say with a shrug. Morgan finally turns to me and he gives me a look of confusion. "What do you mean by that?" He asks. "James is gay." I explain.

He falters but quickly recovers. "He's gay?" Morgan asks in disbelief.

I raise my eyebrows. "You aren't one of those anti-gays are you?"

He quickly shakes his head. "No. Why would I be? I'm g-" he stops himself, mid word.

My eyes widen. What?

"You're gay?" I ask, disbelief laced into my voice. He hesitates before slowly nodding. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask with a small frown. I was slightly offended that he wouldn't tell me. Morgan just shrugs. "I mean, I know we aren't exactly friends, but I've known you for over a year. I would of thought you would tell me." I say.

"One BLT sandwich." Duncan says, putting the dish on the counter that separated the kitchen and the front of the diner where the cash register and coffee machines are. I give Morgan one last look before picking it up. I walk over to James with his food.

"He's your food." I say with a small smile. James looks up from his phone and puts it away. "Thanks. It looks-" he stops and looks at me. "Hey, are you okay?" He asks, concern evident on his face. I shake my head, dismissively. "Yeah, I'm fine. Enjoy your food, sir" I say and do another mock courtesy. He chuckles and I give him one final smile, before I leave.

-----

I open the diner door and make my way towards my car. I had just finished work and was on my way home.

"Lauren!" I turn around to find Morgan. He speed walks towards me and I wait for him to catch up. "Hey." I say when he stops next to me.

"Hey, I just wanted to say sorry for not telling you. I know I should of. It's just, I guess, I was worried that you wouldn't accept me being gay. I mean, we have most shifts together and I didn't want you to not like me." He says, looking down at the pavement.

I smile. "That's okay. I understand."

He looks up and returns my smile. "Do you know if-" he pauses and then shakes his head. "Never mind."

"What is it?" I ask curiously.

He hesitates before sighing. "Do you know if James is single?" He looks around, not meeting my eyes.

I nod. "He is single."

Morgan looks back up at me with a smile, hope shining in his eyes. "Really?" He asks. I nod once again.

I think for a second before I get an idea. "How about this? I talk to James and see what he says and if he approves, I'll give him your number."

He contemplates it before slowly nodding. "Yeah, okay. Here give me your phone. Let me put my number in it." He puts it in and hands it back to me.

"Okay, I'll talk to you later. Bye." I say and he gives me a small wave. I walk away and jump into my car.

-----

I was in my room, laying on my bed. I stare at the ceiling, not knowing what to do. My parents were downstairs, doing who knows what. Probably watching tv or something.

I should talk to James.

I jump off my bed and grab my phone, before calling him. I had gotten James' number ages ago and we would occasionally text. He picks up on the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, James. What are you doing?" I ask, taking a seat on my bed.

"Nothing, you?" He asks.

"Same. Look I just wanted to ask if you were interested to go on a blind date or something like that?" I say hesitantly.

He pauses before answering. "Ah, I don't know about that. Who is it?"

"Did you see the barista working today?" I ask him.

"Oh yeah, the brown haired guy?"

"Yeah, that's him. So would you be willing to go on a date with him? He showed some interest." I say and wait in anticipation for his answer.

I hear a sigh from the other line. "Might as well."

I squeal and quickly give him Morgan's number. I say goodbye to him and then call Morgan. I give him the news and I give him James' number. After it all, I lay back on my bed and I couldn't help but smile.

Feels great to play matchmaker.

~*~*~*~*~

H E L L O !
Soooooo, James and Morgan huh? Who would of thought that Morgan was gay? Anyway I hope you liked it. Sorry for any mistakes and thanks for reading.
Have a great day/night wherever you are. ♡

- a_lama