✦ chapter 4 ✦

Noah's POV

I examine my shoes after I had tied the laces. They were black Nike's and they were really old. They were worn out and the colouring looked grey instead of black.

I need to get a new pair.

I exit my room and walk into the kitchen. I lived in 2 story house and it had 4 rooms. Me, my mum and my grandparents on my mums side all live together. My dad died 6 years ago in a car accident. It was still hard to think about. I was only 14 at the time.

I find everyone in the kitchen, with my mum making coffee. I kiss her cheek and do the same to my grandparents. "Good morning." I greet.

"What are you doing today?" My mum, Katherine, asks.

"I think I'll be going to the mall. I need a new pair of Nike's." I say, showing her my shoes. It was thankfully Saturday.

She nods her head. "I'll be leaving soon for work." My mum worked as a doctor. She worked most days of the week because she was the one who brought in all the money for this household.

I need to get a job.

I had wanted to go to university but I couldn't because each course cost too much. I didn't want mum to pay for it and I didn't have any money. I told my mum that I didn't want to go so she doesn't feel bad. I didn't want to put pressure on her.

I grab a bowl of cereal and talk to my grandparents about mundane things. Once I'm finished, I say goodbye to everyone and head to the mall.

-----

I was walking past a jewellery shop when something caught my eye. It was a ring but it wasn't real. Although it definitely looked like it. It was in one of those shops where they had all women's jewellery but were all fake. I walk into the shop and walk over to the ring. It was a simple silver ring with a small diamond. 

That's when an idea struck me. I will use this to get back at Lauren. I'll propose to her in a public place and when she rejects me, she will look like a total b*tch.

This is going to be good.

I buy the ring and luckily it didn't cost too much. Now I just have to find her in a public place. I had already bought my Nike's and was going to go home now. I walk past a group of girls and catch them looking at me. I wink and grin, which sends them into a fit of giggles. I couldn't help but smirk.

I could get any girl I wanted.

I look to my right and my eyes widen at what I see. It was Lauren and her two friends. I think their names are Jessica and Annabelle? I quickly move out of their line of sight and walk into a dollar shop. They were a couple of shops away and had not seen me.

Perfect time to play my prank.

I grin and take out the ring. Luckily the ring had come with a box so it would look more real. I walk over to them with the box in my hand, so they couldn't see it. Their backs were to me so I tap on Lauren's shoulder. She turns around with a confused look.

Lauren's POV

I was at the mall with Jennifer and Abigail. It was Natalie's birthday next week and we had wanted to buy her something special, considering it was her 20th birthday. We were outside a store, looking through the glass, when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around, confused.