Verbatim

It was 7:50 AM and I was late to class. Carm insisted she'd be fine while I was gone but part of me still felt worried. She just gave a chuckle at my efforts to stay and said worry was something I'd always do. I can't help it?! When you're broody tough girlfriend becomes a little less broody and tough, then you know something's going terribly wrong. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I sat in class zoning out the lecture before me as I tried to figure out what could possibly be wrong. My daze was hazy when suddenly I was snapped out of my thoughts by the tall red head beside me.

"Either fang face has you up all night with her sleepless habits, or something's wrong. Talk to me Hollis?" Danny says with a concerned tone.

"Sorry, I hadn't realized I wasn't paying attention," I lie, "It's nothing, thanks for the concern." I say trying to focus back on the lecture.

Danny places her hand on my shoulder and I tense up at the unfamiliar touch but relax myself knowing I'm in no harm.

"Can we talk? After class?" She says in a way that seemed to be desperate.

"I really should be getting back to Carmilla after class she's not in the bes-"

"Please Laura" she interrupts me. I give it some thought.

"Alright" I say a little hesitantly, thinking about the possible sick vampire I'll be leaving alone for longer than I had planned.

Danny gives me a small smile and continues writing notes for the class. I hope she's not in any trouble.

- - - - - -

After class Danny helps me carry my books and we find a place by the Silas cafeteria to talk.

"I can't stay for lon-"

"Listen, Laura. I'm trying. I mean I know this doesn't seem too difficult for me, but it really is. I understand that you're.. well, taken, now and all, but it doesn't mean I'm gonna be here for you any less than I was before." She says with a hint of pain in her voice. I didn't realize anything I was doing was hurting her in any way.

"Danny I appreciate you a lot." I say placing a harmless comforting hand on hers. "You're like the best friend I've always wanted," she winces at my words but keeps her normal strong 'poker face' on. "If you really want to know what's going on, well as my best friend, you have every right to know" I remove my hand and she nods.

After a 2 hour session of catching up Danny says she wants to help me in any way she can. She agrees to go to the old observatory and look for clues while I take care of Carmilla. She also agreed to help figure out what could be hurting Carmilla by getting with Laf and working on some research.

"Thanks Danny, I knew I could count on you."

"It's what I'm here for Hollis." She smiles and gives my shoulder a nudge before leaving.

Oh crap. Carmilla.

- - - - -

After a quick run to our dorm I find Carmilla up and about, pacing back and forward in front of my bed. Her eyes see mine and a sense of tension in her shoulders begins to relax. Then a flash of anger glares through her eyes.

"You were supposed to be home a long time ago Laura, what the hell?! I was worried. Something could have happened to you. Are you hurt?! Did something attack you?!" She goes on babbling in worry while assessing my every body part for bruises but finds none. And she calls ME a 'worry-wart'. Geeze.

"Well, answer me?" She crosses her arms now.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of the time because-

"Obviously" she interrupts angrily.

"Calm down carm I'm fine. Danny wanted to hel-"

"Of course the overgrown jolly rancher would keep you out so late."

"Carm, it's not like that okay," I grab her hands and guide her to sit on the bed. She follows. I rub my thumbs against the backs of her hands trying to calm the overheated vampire down.

"She wants to help Carm. She needed some information in order to do that so we had a chat and that's it."

Carmilla's head stays low. I could sense she still wasn't feeling herself so I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a hug. She fought it slightly pulling back but eventually relaxed into me.

"I'm sorry I overreacted Laura. I just.. didn't want you getting hurt. There are dangerous things out there."

"Carm I promised I wasn't going on any crusades without you. Trust me a little?"

"With my life, cupcake."

My heart skips a beat.
She's always had a way with words.

I smile and begin to let her go, sliding my hands down her shoulders then arms until I feel a slight bump in her right one. I pull it towards me and begin to observe it.

"Holy crap Carm, Your Arm!"

A big purple bruise the size of a fist is now on her arm.

"Wasn't it a lot smaller yesterday? What is it?!" I say a little shook at the sight of it.

"Well it was A Lot smaller than this. Weird. Well.. you were kind of.. unconscious" she puts her head down, "when I was bitten by the viper" I place my hand on hers letting her know I don't blame her. She smirks and I nudge her to continue.

"Usually, I heal a lot better than this. But for some odd reason since this accident, my powers and strength has been low. As for the bruise, I have no idea what it means."

I bite my bottom lip in concentration and come up with an idea.

"Lucky enough, our good pal Laf takes house calls!"

"Laura, no. I don't want the dimwit squad in here. I just got you back from your busy day." She whines, tugging at my waist. "Can't a girl spend some quality time with her girlfriend?"

There's the needy vampire I adore.

"Sorry babe, we should really get this checked out. It could have something to do with your mother." Carmilla pouts in defeat.

"Fine. Bring the mad scientist and Clifford over, but when they're gone, you're mine." She says with a weak devious smile.

"Oh we'll see about that," I say with a teasing grin. Before I can get up Carmilla pulls my arm to her and sits me on her lap. She plants a sweet but deep kiss on my lips and I return it with a bit more force. I turn on her lap now straddling her with her hands running up the back of my shirt and my legs wrapped around her. The kiss deepens and so does my desire to have her. I press my body up against hers and a grunt filled moan escapes her mouth.

"Crap Carm, did I hurt you?" I say getting off of her.

"No no," she says with a deep sigh, "I just, don't exactly have the best strength right now cupcake" she gives me a sorry frown. I kiss her forehead assuring her it's more than okay.

"I'll go get Laf."