Chapter 1- The Box

Chapter 1-The Box

--------------------

Thomas' POV 

I awoke in a metal box. A stale, dusty air surrounded me. Suddenly, a lurching shudder shook the hard ground. I fell to the cold metal serving as a floor. I shuffled backward on my hands and feet until my back was pressed up against a wall of the box. I started sliding along it until I reached a dark corner. 

With another jolt the cold room jerked upward.

Like an old mine shaft. I thought.

The loud sounds of noises from a steel factory rang through my ears. I wanted to cry. But no tears could slip their way out. So all I could do was sit there, alone, waiting. 

My name is Thomas, I thought.

Actually it was the only thing I could remember. No family, faces, names. Nothing. I knew most things like how the world works, English, how to move. But all memories were nothing but invisible scenes of my life before the box. I had been moving upward in this room. Soon my intense fear, turned into curiosity. I really wanted to know where I was, and what is happening, and where I'm going. With a low groan and a clonk like sound the metal box halted. The sudden change in movement threw me across the hard, cold floor. Everything fell silent as the room swayed, and soon stilled.

Minutes passed by. I scanned the room again, but still saw nothing but the darkness of a lightless box. Again, I felt along the walls in search for some way out. A door, a hole, something I could possibly use to get out of here. Once again, nothing. So I did the first thing that came to my mind. I screamed.

"HELP!" I shouted to no one in particular.

"HELP! GET ME OUT OF HERE!" No one replied. I didn't expect them too. Suddenly the ceiling parted. Two slabs of more cold and dark metal slid apart. I raised my arm to block the sunlight that attempted blinding me. I could make out murmurs of people talking, above.

DaKota's POV 

I was running in the maze with my maze partner Minho, and my husky Duke. He came up in the box when i did, and he never left my side. But dog ever, he keeps up with me, and protects me in the Maze. We would be running through the maze with our other partner Ben, but he was stung by the Grievers yesterday.

"We get another greenie today." Minho said interrupting the silent atmosphere.

"Yep." I said. "And I still have faith that it will be a girl this time." I was one of the first kids in the Glade. But the only girl. No other girls. At all. But even with the creators only sending up boys, I still hope one day they will send up a girl. 

"Kota, they will never send up another girl." Minho said looking me straight in the eye before adverting his gaze back the stone ground ahead of us. I silently doubted him, again. We finished mapping our part of the maze and we're now on our way to our second sections. 

Thomas' POV

"Look at that shank."

"How old is he?"

"He looks like klunk in a T-shirt."

"Your the klunk, shuck-face."

"Hope you enjoyed the one-way trip, Greenie."

"Ain't no ticket back, bro."

I was hit with a massive wave of confusion as voices echoed into the room. Some had weird words that I didn't understand at all. Shank? Shuck-face? Klunk? The words were completely unknown to my vocabulary. Others felt a little familiar. I almost had to force my eyes to adjust to the sudden lighting change. At first all I could see was slightly moving silhouettes, still blurry with no detail. The people were bending over the hole in the ceiling, pointing at me. As if lenses of a camera, my vision focused. All the faces looking down on me were boys. Just boys no girls. Are there girls? Some were young and some were older. I really didn't know what I expected. All the boys were just teenagers. About 18 or 19 at most. Some of my fear melted away, but not enough to calm my still racing heart beat. Someone lowered a rope from the bright space above. The end was tied into a loop. I hesitated to step into the loop. I don't know if I could trust these boys. I decided to just get out of the box first. I placed my foot in the loop and clutched onto the rope as it was hoisted upward. Hands reached down and clutched onto me, pulling me the rust of the way upward. The boys' voices had slowly grown to silence. But as I was yanked over the sharp edge of the box someone spoke. I will never forget those words.

"Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade."