Iceland x Reader - Let It Snow

“Hey, Emil, do you mind helping me here?”

“_____, what are you even doing?”

It was only the beginning of winter, yet the weather channel had said there was a chance of snow. You weren’t taking any chances, it had to happen.

“Helping the snow come out.” You said, as you slung open the drawer that held the spoons.

He furrowed his brow and kept his eyes on you. “Why do you need spoons for that?”

Grabbing as many as you could, you turned to him. “For good luck, you know.”

“Actually I don’t. The snow just comes, it’s natural.” He stated matter-of-factly.

No matter how true and backed by science that fact may be, you stuck to your roots. It had been a popular belief among the kids in your town. You could remember when you were in the second grade, and rumor of bad weather spread around the class. Small voices whispered about the spoons, followed by nods.

“Don’t forget to lick a spoon and put it under your pillow tonight.” A child would say.

“Why?”

“Just do it.”

From across the room a louder voice was heard. “No! Plastic spoons don’t work; it has to be metal, only metal.”

So you stood in front of your Icelandic boyfriend, hands on your hips and mouth in a pout. “Are you going to help me or not?”

He sighed and stood up from his position on at the counter. “Fine, fine. I guess I will.”

You smiled. “Thanks. Now, to every pillow in the house!”

You marched along, heading up the stairs where the only bedrooms in the house were, Emil following your every step.

The first room; the guest bed. You slowly opened the door and looked around. Of course no one would be there, it was just a habit. You walked over to the bed and moved the pillows, grabbing a spoon and handing it to Emil, then taking one for yourself.

He tossed it onto the bed. You grabbed it and handed it to him once more. “What am I doing wrong?”

You held the utensil to your lips. “You have to lick it first, otherwise it won’t work.”

Taking one, long lick, you placed it down and set the pillow in its proper spot. Looking back up at Emil, you nodded, telling him to do as you had.

“Do I have to?” He said.

“It won’t work if you don’t.”

He sighed and quickly licked at the metal piece, placing it on the other side of the bed. You placed the pillow on top and grabbed his hand, dragging him to the second room in the house; your room.

Once there, the process was repeated, Emil being less reluctant to go through with it than the last. Once the job was done, the two of you sat on your bed. You were playing with his hands.

“Hey, Emil?”

“Hmm?”

You lightly traced your finger up and down his palm. “Do you think we’ll miss school tomorrow if it snows?”

He waited a while before answering, his mind wrapped around the feel of your touch. “Maybe, if we get at least three inches tonight they probably will. Better safe than sorry, right?”

“Right.”

Silence.

You took your hands and pressed them against his, which were much warmer than your own. "Why are your hands always warm? It's freezing inside, you're like a heater."

He shrugged. "I don't know I just am." He glanced at you for a moment before swinging an arm around you.

You lay down, dragging him with you and grabbed the blanket that had been folded up and sitting on the end of your bed. Once you were covered, you let out a content sigh. "That's better." You mumbled.

You began to get drowsy, but before you had fallen into a deep sleep, Emil shook your shoulder. "______, wake up."

You sat up and stretched—eyes still shut, on account of you not being fully awake—and groaned. "I'm tired."

"Look outside." He said.

"Why?"

"Just do it."

Doing as he said, you slid off the bed and walked over to the window, none too pleased to feel the cold touch of the wooden floors. When you moved the curtain, you found the backyard blanketed in snow. You spun around, no longer tired, and ran over to Emil. "It snowed, it snowed!"

He nodded. "Yeah, while you were sleeping."

Jumping up and down, you ran to the window again, this time staying there to watch the white flakes fall to the ground. "Think we'll have school tomorrow?"

"Probably not, it's only five and there's supposed to be a bigger snow storm coming around midnight."

You grinned. "Then it's decided. We'll just have to go sledding, won't we?"

He stood up and walked over to you. "Not until tomorrow, there isn't enough on the ground."

"Well, yeah. That's what I meant." You sighed.

He wrapped his arm around you once more and rubbed your shoulder with his thumb. He then rested his head on your shoulder. You smiled and turned to kiss his head. "Happy snow day, Emil."

"Happy snow day, ______."