Five

"Watch where you're going!" a man yelled. Although, I was too scared to care, thinking of him as my heart swelled. He was my love, the closest to my heart, I was compelled.

My legs burned with the exertion as I ran. Though, I ignored the stinging pain, using all the strength within me to stand.

Despite all the disapproving gazes directed towards me, I kept running. Right, left. Right, left. This rhythm fighting to dominate my mind, though was prevented by the thoughts I was pondering.

My knee burned, the bruise unsettling. Though, it was merely a scratch compared to my heart, which was bleeding. I heard my phone ring, the ringtone mimicking the melody of birds, as they sing. Despite its melodious tone, the ringtone seemed horrific. Worry was all it could bring.

I didn't bother to halt, and let my feet fly across the carpet, tripping as my flip-flops entangled themselves with my toes. Bringing my hand to my purse, I retrieved my tattered phone. As my eyes settled upon the caller ID, I froze.

It was him. I imagined his beautiful face, his every limb. This time I wouldn't ignore him. He was drowning, and I could finally be his lifeguard, teaching him how to swim.

I accepted the call, waiting for his voice to say my name, to link the chains, yet again. Though, he said nothing, his breathing soft in my ear, the silence driving me insane. I didn't talk, and continued running. My heart was hammering like a beast I couldn't tame.

His apartment came into view, the second one to the left. Just a few more steps and a wooden door till we could meet. As I approached closer, my anticipation reached its peak. Would our meeting be sweet or mere cruelty?

My fingers wrapped around the cold doorknob. Breathe in, breathe out. It wasn't long now.

I pushed the door open, somehow expecting the lock to click out of place. That's exactly what happened, the door sliding ajar with grace.

What I saw next, chilled me deep to the bone. I saw him. I saw the person who I longed to call home, my own.

------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! Here is chapter 5!

Let me know what you thought of it in the comments below. Also, if you would like to tell me something, then feel free to let me know. All your opinions matter!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you for reading and have a great day! :)

- Anika