Chapter 2 On My Own

I asked a man what time it was. "11:30." He said walking off. She should be back by now. The diner isn't far from here. I began to worry. What if something happened? What if she never returned and I wouldn't know what happened? Or maybe she's just looking around at the thrift store. Maybe she's cleaning up.

But she never stays over time, no matter the pay. I sighed and ran my fingers there my tangled hair. If something did happen to her, I'd be all alone out here, with no food or water. It's hard for me, to interact with lots of people. Yeah, I ask people what time it is, but I don't talk to them anymore.

(1 hour later)

She isn't here yet. I asked someone and they said it was 12. I started panicking. I was sweating, and breathing fast. I saw one of her employees. She was walking my way. She came up to me. "Your mother passed." She said sadly. "Wait what?!" I said. "She got ran over, coming home to you." She said. I began to cry. "I'll give you enough money to stay at a hotel for one night." She said. "Here's a meal." She said handing me a bag. I couldn't stop crying.

I didn't reach for the bag. She sat it down beside me. "Here's the money, sorry for your loss." She said placing the money beside me. I cried till I threw up. She was gone. I was alone. Forever.

I grabbed the bag and money. Tears streaming down my face. I walked to the hotel. I went inside. I went up to get a room. "Room for one and only for tonight." I said handing him the money. "Alright, your room is 534." He said. "Okay, thanks." I said. He gave me the key. "Wait, what's your name?" He asked. I froze. "Um, it's Maria." I said. "You used to go to my school right? My name is Ryan." He said. "Yeah, I did and I do remember you." I said. "Well, it's nice seeing you." He said. "You too." I said quickly going to my room.

I unlocked the door. I went inside. The room was painted white, with a small brown, torn, couch, and a single bed. There was a little tv, and a small table and chair. I sat down at the table and ate. I finished. I read a sign that said "Bathroom and showers are downstairs." I grabbed the key and unlocked the door and slipped outside. I locked it back. I went down to the lobby. "Hello, um where is your bathroom?" I asked. "Down the hall." He said. I nodded and walked towards it. I saw a cart with towels, rags, and soap. I grabbed what I need and went to the bathroom.

(Pic of Ryan)