Chapter 4

Essa

Today I woke up and looked like crap. That was an understatement. My eyeliner smeared so I now have big raccoon eyes. I feel as of I didn't sleep at all. On top of it all I had to get to school. Ugh I hated high school. Some people loved It but I wasn't one of them.

I loved to learn. I was good at it. I hated social interaction and all the drama that came with high school. For some reason I wasn't bad at it. I just hated doing it. There were a few exceptions like Spirit was worth it. So was Peace.

Peace was short and beautiful. She had long black hair. She was skinny with curves. She had green eyes and a great personality to match. She cared about everyone. She got along with everyone. She got hurt a lot. She was the only other person I let in.

'Hey just thinking about you' I texted Peace. She didn't respond which was normal.

'Hey Essa, sorry I didn't text you back last night I feel guilty.' it was Stefan.

'That's okay honestly I didn't even notice. I was out with someone.' I texted him back.

School was horrible. I had no energy left. Why can't Stefan just text me all day. Oh wait thats what he did.

'So is there a guy in your life?' Stefan texted me. I feel bad I kept ignoring his texts and not on purpose.

'No. I have few acquaintances that are guys. There is this one guy though. He isn't like other guys. It's NOT you.' I texted. I hoped Stefan wouldn't be mad. He shouldn't be mad though. He was the one who only wanted to stay friends. Not that I minded. Although If Shadow wasn't in the picture I could've fallen for Stefan.

'Is he hot? He better not break you if he does I'll break him' Stefan said.

'I'm already broken.' I texted back without thinking. I was right though. I was already broken. I'm depressed. What did he know though. Everything you told him stupid. 'I got to go ttyl' I quickly added.

I checked my phone five missed calls already from Spirit. She wouldn't be happy. I drove to her house and then called her.

"Where are you? Why aren't you answering my calls?" She nearly shouted into the phone.

"Outside. Now hurry your butt out here so we can talk at our spot." I said into the phone. She was mad. She was either going to yell at me more or she wasn't going to talk to me for awhile.

"I'll be right out." She said quietly. I wondered what was wrong. She must be having a tough time. Who wouldn't in her position.

"Hey." I said as I watched her walk out of her house. She looked like crap. She didn't respond. We drove to our spot in silence. "So what's the matter?" I asked her. I was kinda glad Shadow wasn't around. I was Spirit's at this moment.

"My dad returned..." I knew she wasn't finished. "With his girlfriend..." she was having a hard time with this so I listened as long as I needed to. "And he has another kid now. He's about my age..." she took a deep breath "thats her son. You know what that means? That he was all this time cheating on my mom. This whole entire time. Probably since before they were married. He said he wanted to be in my life." She was crying now.

"Oh spirit." I said as I hugged her.

"And now you're not around. How can I have my dad in my life when he's like that. I just can't anymore. Why does he get to live after doing that to my mom. It's just not fair. It's not fair you're leaving me for a mystery boy and my mom met a new guy already. Im going to be left all alone." Spirit said. I didn't realize she felt that way.

"Hey, how about you stay at my place for a few days. Just you and me. I'll let the boys know I'm busy." I said. All I thought about was her. Even though I have no way of telling shadow.

"I can't do that. You are having your own problems I'll just be in the way." She told me. She was wrong though she was part of my family and I had to help her. I wanted to help her in the way I knew I could.

"Yes you can. My mom loves you and you need to feel loved." I said. I knew if she was set in her ways she wouldn't allow me.

"I'd love to I can't. Sorry. Now bring me home. Please. I'll contact you." I gave up. I drove her home. I drove back to our spot in hopes of seeing Shadow.

"Hey, I'm not sure if you're around or not but I really need a friend right now." I said out loud. I wouldn't be surprised if he was there. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he never showed up.

"I'm here for you Tress." Shadow said after awhile of silence. He sat next to me. I just started crying randomly. He wrapped his arms around me. I leaned into him. I was getting his shirt all wet with my tears. After I finally stoped crying he spoke. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked.

"My friend Spirit is having a rough time. I couldn't help her. She wouldn't let me. I'm worthlessly depressed. I'm afraid everyone is going to leave me. My mom is never around." I finally said after awhile. I was crying again but I didn't care. "I'm sorry I'm ruining your shirt." I said. I guess I did cared.

"It's okay Tress. I promise I'm not going to leave you. I'll always be there for you. You are one in a million. My one in a million." He said. I didn't understand what he said I was his one in a millon. I didn't care at the time. I just nodded.

He kissed me on the forehead. I just leaned into him more. He smelt wonderful. Pine and mint. He smelled like happiness.

Stefan

I smelled her hair. She smelled like spring and lime. She smelled like sadness. I knew she didn't have an easy life but I guess neither did her friends.

She fell asleep in my arms. It was getting cold and she didn't have a jaket. I brought her to the house and layed her in the guest bedroom.

"Son, Who is she?" My dad whispered as I exited the room. My dad didn't like people. He wasn't all about money but he didn't like people that weren't in his social group.

"Leave her be dad. She's had a tough day." I told him. We fought a lot when it came to people. Other then that we got along great.

"What is she doing here?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"Resting. It was cold out and she didn't have a jaket." I stated.

"I don't want her here." He said.

"Shadow?" I heard Tress's voice. Damn She must've woken up to us fighting

"It's okay Tress you can stay as long as you need. You'll always be welcomed here. Right father?" I gave him don't-you-even-dare look.

"Yes my son is right." He said defeted. She checked her phone and then looked like she was about to cry. My dad was no longer in the room.

"Umm... I got a text from my mom. She said she's leaving the state I have an hour to get my stuff and find a new place to live." She said crying.

**********
Another cliffhanger. I figured this one was well worth it. Sorry about that. Please continue to read. The weekend is coming up and I'll post when I can