Chapter Thirteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I don't know," Sage said softly, calmly.

I stared at my locker, fists clenched. "How are you not even angry?"

"Rayne, believe me, I'm just as upset as you are," Sage said quickly. "But if Madeleine did this out of anger, why do you think being angry is the solution?"

"I have a right to be angry."

"But—"

"Look," I said, exasperated, "I don't want to argue right now. This is between Madeleine and I." It was hard to believe that she had the audacity to break in (though it was just as likely that I had forgotten to lock my belongings, as usual). But even harder to believe was the fact that she had destroyed my belongings. Why the sudden outrage? Or had it been building up all this time?

I swallowed. I had saved up for three months last summer in order to buy my racing suit, and now it was worthless. And my favorite pair of goggles...

Anger simmered within me. Madeleine would pay—she had to pay.

"W-what are you going to do?" Sage stammered.

"Watch me," I said, heading for the exit.

"Rayne!" Sage cried anxiously. "Where are you going?"

"I'm telling Coach Hansen what happened!" I hollered over my shoulder. Several girls glanced up at me as I barreled past them.

"But he won't do anything about it! He never does! And if Madeleine finds out that you tattled on her..." Sage trailed off into silence.

I turned around. "Well, someone has to stop her from bullying, and it might as well be me." With that statement ringing through the now-silent locker room, I stormed outside and headed straight for Coach Hansen, who was pacing the pool deck with his hands on his hips.

"Coach," I said coolly, trying to bite back the anger rising within me.

"Rayne!" His eyes immediately lit up when he saw me. "How are you? Have you considered squeezing some training sessions in between your tutoring after school?"

"Actually, Coach, that's not what I want to talk to you about." My voice suddenly grew calm—eerily calm. "Are you aware that ever since I arrived at this school, your daughter has had it out for me? Are you aware that she has held a grudge against me for the past two weeks?"

Coach Hansen blinked.

I fumbled for the right words. I needed to be strong—to stand my ground. "Are you aware that Madeleine broke into my swim locker and destroyed everything inside?" I demanded.

"Rayne," he said, concerned, "this is a serious charge. Are you sure?"

His question caught me off guard. Was I sure? I hadn't seen her do it, and the locker rooms didn't have security cameras...

I suddenly felt foolish. "She's—she's—" Then I stopped again. I couldn't exactly say she's a bully without sounding like a scared little kid. But the fact only angered me even more.

"Madeleine beat up someone from the swim team," I said, switching tactics. "How'd she get away with that one?"

Coach narrowed his eyes. "She got a detention, of course. Why—"