No.17:Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods (1959)

Originally titled, "Come Softly," the title of the song was changed because the owner of Dolphin Records, later Dolton Records, Bob Reisdorff feared that AM radio DJ's would think the named  too suggestive. He was being extra-cautious, for Dolphin Records was formed by the Seattle DJ for the sole purpose of distributing Fleetwoods records. The song started when members Gray Troxel and Gretchen Christopher were waiting for a lift home from high school by their mother. Troxel started humming, "Dum, dum, domby do wah," when Gretchen noticed that it was the same chord progession as the song she had just finished writing. So she asked him to slow his tempo, then sang her song while he hummed. They took it to Gretchen's singing partner, who liked it, and they formed Two Girls And A Guy. They performed this live twice, once at a high school assembly and at a football game. Their classmates liked it so much that they wanted copies of it so they could learn it. Fun Fact: There are no drums in the song. It's just Troxel shaking his car keys in his closed hands. Residorff suggested that they changed their name to a more "commerical one." Since all three teens had the same telephone exchange-Fleetwood-they accepted Reisdorff's idea and became the Fleetwoods.

Dum, dum, dum, dum dumby dooby dum

Dum, dum, dum, dum, dumby dooby dum

Come softly, darling

Come to me, stay

You're my obsession

Forever and a day

I want, I want you to know

I love, I love you so

Please hold, hold me so tight

All through, all through the night

Speak softly, darling

Hear what I say

I love you always

Always, always

I've waited, I've waited so long

For your kisses and your love

Please come, come to me

From up, from up above

Come softly, darling

I need, need you so much

Wanna feel your warm touch

Dum, dum, dum, dum dumby dooby dum

Dum, dum, dum, dum, dumby dooby dum