Chapter 135: Duel of Ideals

Start from the beginning

"You made that announcement before. You're the new rebel kid." Porter rolled his eyes in the cockpit as he listened. Perfect. His viewscreen was displaying data on his soon-to-be-opponent. This was Major Carion, only recently promoted prior to this confrontation, for his valor during some fights against Jahari outbreaks. That was always the reason now for anyone to move up in ranks, according to Sigma's constant surveillance of the world. He had always used the shotgun, though, forgoing the usual rifle that was handed out to the average soldier, so his experience with the weapon was going to be unparalleled. Not a lot of people wielded such a restrictive armament willingly.

"What's your point?" Porter figured he may as well go with this then if he was caught. He hadn't yet been shot, so that was a good thing, and he was carefully watching for any Bahari attacks that could serve as a good distraction and excuse to escape. Unfortunately, Enian forces had surged past him with Carion's arrival, and they were now relatively safe.

Carion's face appeared inside Porter's cockpit. With an answer, Porter had opened up a direct line between the two, and the teen nearly fell out of his chair when Carion fully materialized. The major's eyes were wide in clear awe and admiration, and he could barely contain a smile of excitement. "You were part of the Academy's special forces before. You were at Abertyl. You saved it from Artisan invasion back then."

Porter's mouth opened and closed a number of times, gulping at the air. He couldn't figure out what to do in this situation. "Yes...that was us," he replied, tepidly.

"I'm from Abertyl," Carion exclaimed. "I wasn't deployed there, though, I was stationed up in Marcheska, but my family still lives there. You saved their home, my home, you kept it from the Artisans."

"Right." Porter was once again seeking an out, almost certain that this was some sort of bizarre trap at this point. His eyes darted from side to side, scanning the horizon for anything that could be used to escape.

"When I heard about that, I couldn't believe it. So of course I know the White Storm! I would recognize it anywhere. I just couldn't imagine that it was really you. I'm sorry if I scared you though with the report. I wanted to confirm it was real." Carion paused to look past Porter, clearly searching for the missing teammates. "Where are the rest of them, though? Why are you here? Aren't you against the government?"

"I'm for the people," Porter answered immediately, already having dealt with the same series of questions from his own comrades on his decision to assist at the Breach. "The rest will join me, but I'm just...slightly faster."

Carion laughed, and Porter could almost physically see the tension snapping and evaporating between them. It seemed this was real, and not some sort of complex way to ensnare Porter and bring his guard down. "Yeah, exactly, you're crazy fast. You fought Sigmeund and almost beat him too, right?"

Porter's head dropped into his palms. This was a bonafide superfan it seemed, and he was on top of everything that the teen had done since Abertyl. Well, everything that was public knowledge at least. Did this mean there was a supporter sitting in this crowd, though? Were there others who felt the same way? Porter had always assumed he would only not get killed by an Enian or Artisan because an old saying along the lines of the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but he hadn't ever really thought it would be because sympathizers would step forward mid-combat.

"Yes, that happened too," Porter said. He could hear Sigma snickering lightly in the communication, and he kicked at one of his speakers. "Listen, I'm just really concerned with the war going on here, and making sure my friends are safe."

"Safe? They're all good at fighting, aren't they?"

"My fear is more about a possibly negative reception at seeing a bunch of anti-government soldiers showing up in front of the army."