The Music Room

The remainder of the splendid dinner is a calm and friendly affair, accompanied with genteel chatter.  Upon its conclusion, the ladies retire to the more relaxed music room leaving the gentlemen to converse politically over glasses of Port, before they join us once more. 

Whilst I admire the elegant dancing, Harry appears to stand beside me.  My hands rest gently clasped in front of me, his hands are entwined behind his back.

"I am intrigued about your Cousins, Sara, particularly Georgina.  Please tell me about them if you feel so inclined."

"Of course.  The eldest is Lawrence and you have become very much acquainted with him this evening.  Sadly, he is consumed by the need for wealth and he will use anyone to get it.  He is ruthless and I would avoid entering into any business activities with him.  I think perhaps the love of a good lady would soften his brash tendencies."

He sucks his cheeks in trying to stifle his joviality at my directness.  "That is a bold description if ever I did hear one."

"I speak as I find for you did ask!  Am I not permitted to have such opinions about the more superior male species amongst us?"  I reply with more lightheartedness than my choice of words suggest.   

"On the contrary, after my contretemps with Mr Henderson this evening, should any such future business relationships be implied, I will be sure to recall your honesty.  And Georgina?"  He attempts to hold onto the release of his amusement with a lopsided grin.  "I wait with bated breath."

"Georgina is destined to be intended to a gentleman at the height of society before the arrival of Spring.  She wishes to be a lady of a Manor or even Hall!"  I swoop my lashes to catch Harry watching the release of my words.  "She craves to be lavished with luxuries but she is able to love and will make the right man a very good wife and mother to his children.  Actually, I believe you are in her sights."

"Me?"  Harry places his hand flat against his chest.  "Goodness, should I be flattered?"  His eyes flare wide in astonishment. 

"You tell me, Harry, are you flattered?  My Aunt especially would not be able to contain herself of such a union.  Is that not the point of this weekend's invitation?"

"Absolutely not!"  He refutes hastily.  "I shall not be marrying Georgina today, tomorrow or before I die for that matter.   She will make someone a decoratively beautiful wife but sadly she will put them into a early grave with her appetite for overzealous whining."

Harry stands tall; his eyes are half closed as he glances down at me.  A tiny giggle escapes my lips and I place my hand over my mouth to hide it. 

"I brought your smile out again and that was my intention so I win."  He beams. 

"I did not realise we were playing a game for I would not have played so fair."

"Of that I have no doubt but if I may be so bold as to say this, you look absolutely lovely when you smile."

"I shall take the compliment in the spirit by which it is meant but I fear that you are getting carried away."

"On the contrary, I only speak the truth but if that displeases you then that is my mistake for which I apologise.  Would you care to dance with me?"

His words have shocked me to frown and hang my mouth open in a completely unladylike manner.  Slow to refuse a dance, he has already stepped forward and spun around.  One hand remains behind his back with the other outstretched, palm-up to take mine.  He stoops in his request with his head cocked to one side and looking expectantly at me.

I hesitate.  He extends his hand a little further towards me, capturing my fingers inside his. My breath catches in my throat at the way he is observing me.

"Let's dance."  He requests in an enticing manner.

We stand facing one another.  His hand rests lightly pressed upon my waist, his fingers splay out gently across my back.  The softness of my breasts squash against the hardness of his chest.  He looks down at me again but my fixation remains solely upon his shirt pin-tucks. 

"Look at me."  Rolls of his tongue as a hushed murmur. 

The music takes me totally unawares and I inhale a sharp breath.  Harry joins my hand within his grasp and we begin to gracefully spin around.  Our two bodies become one as we fly around the room in a sheer gliding movement.  His serenade is exhilarating for when the music stops, I am quite out of breath with a flush upon my chest that is reflected upon my cheeks.

"You dance as well as you critique.  Elegant, poised and on point."

"Thank you."

"What no come back?"  He laughs surreptitiously. 

"No comeback, just thank you."  I look demurely away upon which he catches my drift and smiles, bowing at the end of the dance to my curtsey.

My Aunt, who has been watching us intently, launches my name across the room.  "Sara?"  She calls it so everyone can hear and pause in silence.  "Do please play the piano for us."

At her request, the shock must be evident upon my face for she knows I do not favour to play in company because my fingers shake at such attention.  "No, please not tonight Aunt."

"Oh come, you play so beautifully.  It is a shame not to share your talent with everyone."  Georgina adds rubbing salt into my already panicking wound. 

Flustered, I hesitate ineptly, standing in the middle of the room with all eyes upon me patiently waiting.  I should like to abscond but am rooted to the spot.  Then I feel Harry's presence beside me. 

"Come, let us partake of a duet together."  He coaxes kindly. 

We settle beside one another on the giant piano stool.  Harry requests for me to select the musical piece and when I make my choice from the sheet music, he agreeably smiles.

His fingers tease the keys with effortless fluency.  Two rings catch my eye; one his Father's signet ring sits proudly on his right ring finger, the other a silver band on his middle finger is engraved with a word I cannot make out in the low-light. 

We play the piece that begins so beautifully but whose tempo increases to such a crescendo that our hands cross over the keys.  I do not wish to make a mistake and keep my eyes firmly upon the musical score but I sense him watching me as we perform.  The duet ends dramatically to claps and shouts of "bravo!" from around the room.

"Your playing is breathtaking and if I may say, you have excellent taste for that is one of my favourite piano pieces of Bach's music to play."  Harry enthralls.

"I shall return your generous compliment to you in spades."  I blush. 

"I fear my fingers are not as staccato as they once were for they are laboured in their stroke of the ivories and thus clumsy to create the harmony the music demands.  Practise has evaded me of late."  He appears disappointed.

"I think you can forgive yourself for music not being at the forefront of your recent thoughts. You are too hard on yourself for your kept up a treat!"  I attempt to ease his doubt.

"This is the first time music has filled the house since, well you know.  Thank you for allowing me to duet.  I had not appreciated how much I had missed musical refreshment.  It lightens the mood and strokes the soul in goodness." He expresses poetically.

I sense the ladies are gathering to play card games but I am unable to tear my eyes away from our side-by-side hands that remain suspended over the keys.  A palpitation heaves so strong within me that the rise and fall of my chest sways me delicately backwards and forwards.  I notice Harry's little finger stretch out but before it touches mine, I slide my hand away.

"Please excuse me, Harry, for I believe I am in need of some air."